moderated Re: seeking advice on windows 10 versus windows 11

David Diamond

I have to Harkin back to what the tech at MS support told me, “Don’t upgrade for a while.  My friend upgraded and now is having problems.  Wait for MS to work out all the bugs first before upgrading.”

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: November 10, 2021 10:16 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: seeking advice on windows 10 versus windows 11

On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 12:36 PM, Chris Hill wrote:

Two months into a new operating system is just way too soon with windows.

-
Amen to that!!

You can use the PC Health Check app from Microsoft to check to see if your machine is compatible with Windows 11, at least at the moment, as Microsoft still has not said it has finalized all processors that it intends to include.  But if your machine passes the test now, it will not fail it later.  But it could fail it now because your processor is not yet officially supported but the TPM and other requirements are met.  But just because you could update today to Windows 11 doesn't mean you should.

I would encourage anyone except those who love being on "the bleeding edge" to wait a minimum of 6 months, which means next April, before taking the plunge with Windows 11.

For those who do have Windows 11 compatible hardware, and if there are no reports of major issues with Windows 11 next spring, I would not wait until Windows 10 end of life in 2025 to do that upgrade.  During the first year, in particular, of a new Windows version there is a ton of ongoing exchange of information about how to move from an earlier version to it that dies down substantially afterward.  There is value in being a part of a large group of people trying to deal with the same issues, however small, at the same time when it's fresh in everyone's mind.  You see people who waited trying to upgrade to Windows 10 now from Windows 7 or 8/8.1 and much of what people did "way back when" no longer springs immediately to mind, and a lot of what was true and correct for earlier versions of Windows 10 is no longer true or correct for the most recent Windows 10 versions.  The same is almost certain to be true for Windows 11 as well.

There are those among us, and I may be one of them, who must stay on Windows 10 until it is retired if Microsoft does not end up adding my processor to the list of those officially supported by Windows 11, and I'm not about to rush out and buy a new machine just to have Windows 11.  But by the time 2025 rolls around my laptop will be eight years old, and that means it will have lived out a full service life and I'd expect to be replacing it anyway.

Right now, in general but particularly with regard to interactions with the various screen readers, Windows 11 information is quite sparse.  I'd start out with Windows 10 initially and only upgrade to Windows 11 later if your hardware supports it.

    ~ William Plomer