moderated Re: seeking advice on windows 10 versus windows 11

Hi,

To add to Brian’s points, I strongly advise people to install Windows 10 November 2021 Update (Version 21H2) as soon as it is offered to you (currently 21H2 is being prepared for release at any moment).

At least to give folks something to think about, there was a thread on another list that discussed pros and cons of Windows 11 upgrade:

winaccess@winaccess.groups.io | windows 11 pros and cons

There were issues reported in that thread that turns out to be something to do with Edge browser itself (not Windows), you can ignore Edge notes in that thread.

As for the computer itself, to Keith: ask your friend to install Windows 10 for now – just because Windows 11 is here doesn’t mean not all machines are ready for it, particularly if the processor is flagged as not supported by Microsoft documentation and PC Health Check app. If the processor is not one of the following, then you cannot upgrade to Windows 11 (there is an unofficial way, but you must be willing to “sign” a waiver (in the form of agreeing to terms) and future updates are not guaranteed):

  • Intel: Core I3/I5/I7/I9 8000/9000/10000/11000/12000/10XXGn/11XXGn, some newer Xeon, Celeron, Pentium (apart from a very small handful of processors from 7th generation, the processor must be 8th generation (Coffee Lake) or later)
  • AMD: Ryzen 3/5/7 2000/3000/4000/5000, newer Epyc and Athlon (Zen+ family and later)

You must also be licensed to use JAWS 2022 or later (subscription or SMA); 2021 will work to some extent but 2022 is better optimized for Windows 11.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Joseph