moderated Re: seeking advice on windows 10 versus windows 11

Hi,

To add to Brian’s points, I strongly advise people to install Windows 10 November 2021 Update (Version 21H2) as soon as it is offered to you (currently 21H2 is being prepared for release at any moment).

At least to give folks something to think about, there was a thread on another list that discussed pros and cons of Windows 11 upgrade:

winaccess@winaccess.groups.io | windows 11 pros and cons

There were issues reported in that thread that turns out to be something to do with Edge browser itself (not Windows), you can ignore Edge notes in that thread.

As for the computer itself, to Keith: ask your friend to install Windows 10 for now – just because Windows 11 is here doesn’t mean not all machines are ready for it, particularly if the processor is flagged as not supported by Microsoft documentation and PC Health Check app. If the processor is not one of the following, then you cannot upgrade to Windows 11 (there is an unofficial way, but you must be willing to “sign” a waiver (in the form of agreeing to terms) and future updates are not guaranteed):

• Intel: Core I3/I5/I7/I9 8000/9000/10000/11000/12000/10XXGn/11XXGn, some newer Xeon, Celeron, Pentium (apart from a very small handful of processors from 7th generation, the processor must be 8th generation (Coffee Lake) or later)
  • AMD: Ryzen 3/5/7 2000/3000/4000/5000, newer Epyc and Athlon (Zen+ family and later)

You must also be licensed to use JAWS 2022 or later (subscription or SMA); 2021 will work to some extent but 2022 is better optimized for Windows 11.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2021 10:16 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: seeking advice on windows 10 versus windows 11

On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 12:36 PM, Chris Hill wrote:

Two months into a new operating system is just way too soon with windows.

-
Amen to that!!

You can use the PC Health Check app from Microsoft to check to see if your machine is compatible with Windows 11, at least at the moment, as Microsoft still has not said it has finalized all processors that it intends to include.  But if your machine passes the test now, it will not fail it later.  But it could fail it now because your processor is not yet officially supported but the TPM and other requirements are met.  But just because you could update today to Windows 11 doesn't mean you should.

I would encourage anyone except those who love being on "the bleeding edge" to wait a minimum of 6 months, which means next April, before taking the plunge with Windows 11.

For those who do have Windows 11 compatible hardware, and if there are no reports of major issues with Windows 11 next spring, I would not wait until Windows 10 end of life in 2025 to do that upgrade.  During the first year, in particular, of a new Windows version there is a ton of ongoing exchange of information about how to move from an earlier version to it that dies down substantially afterward.  There is value in being a part of a large group of people trying to deal with the same issues, however small, at the same time when it's fresh in everyone's mind.  You see people who waited trying to upgrade to Windows 10 now from Windows 7 or 8/8.1 and much of what people did "way back when" no longer springs immediately to mind, and a lot of what was true and correct for earlier versions of Windows 10 is no longer true or correct for the most recent Windows 10 versions.  The same is almost certain to be true for Windows 11 as well.

There are those among us, and I may be one of them, who must stay on Windows 10 until it is retired if Microsoft does not end up adding my processor to the list of those officially supported by Windows 11, and I'm not about to rush out and buy a new machine just to have Windows 11.  But by the time 2025 rolls around my laptop will be eight years old, and that means it will have lived out a full service life and I'd expect to be replacing it anyway.

Right now, in general but particularly with regard to interactions with the various screen readers, Windows 11 information is quite sparse.  I'd start out with Windows 10 initially and only upgrade to Windows 11 later if your hardware supports it.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

~ William Plomer

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.