moderated Re: Jaws Screen Reader cost?.

Steve Nutt

Hi,

I agree, but what throws people is object navigation. Most people don’t use the touch cursor commands in JAWS, which carries out similar functionality either.

There’s a lot of good stuff in NVDA, and of course, you can emulate the JAWS cursor, by going into screen review mode in NVDA.

Where NVDA is weaker in my view, is Office products such as Outlook. The Email reading experience is not so nice, especially now that JAWS 2022 is lightning fast with Outlook.

All the best

Steve

--

To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris via groups.io
Sent: 04 November 2021 18:09
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Jaws Screen Reader cost?.

If you cannot figure out narrator, then jaws must be way beyond your capabilities in that case,

Its not difficult to get your head around the basics of any screen reader, especially if you have used one before

Sent: 04 November 2021 05:42

People come on, do you really think NVDA or any other screen reader will recommend another one?  As for Narrator, I still can’t get it to work without it not using any terminology close to the left mouse button or right mouse button.  Why is that important?  Because when I’ve got a newer computer, it is virtually impossible to use narrator to install any other screen reader.  Thus sighted assistance is mandatory. 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: November 3, 2021 9:13 PM

Well it's not behind their backs.

I have brought it up on a NVDA list where maintainers monitor and post and they all demonstrated no interest in including Jaws shortcuts as a selection, and state that folks just have to get used to what they think is the best user interface.

Glenn

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2021 7:59 AM

I work with and teach dolphin, NaRrator, JAWS, NVDA, and ChromeVox. I just want to point out that most maintainers of NVDA are screenreader users. 

You may disagree with how they set up the system and keystrokes, but it not appropriate to assume they are in some way indifferent to the needs of the blind community or actively antagonistic to the blind community. Especially when the accusation is made behind their backs. 

That said, there are guides online for migrating from JAWS to NVDA. But also narrator is an option, though it appears oftentimes to have more in common with Mac OS Voiceover than JAWS. 

On Tue, Nov 2, 2021 at 15:57 Glenn / Lenny <glenn@...> wrote:

If NVDA maintainers really cared about helping the Blind, then they would include a Jaws layout for those who want it.

This is not unheard of, Microsoft Word used to have a WordPerfect mode, where you could use WP keyboard commands and the WP layout.

I think WindowEyes also had a Jaws KB layout as well.

But the maintainers of NVDA are so anti-Jaws, that they have to do anything they can to try to prove that their product is better, to which I say it is not.

It does well, and is a good backup, probably better than Narrator, but it does not come close to JFW, and they could do a lot better to make it easier to recruit Jaws users.

Glenn

Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 2021 4:49 PM

If you can't afford JAWS, you can still use it in 40 min mode. Or get NVDA, it is Free and is a  great screen reader and there are tutorials to help you migrate from JAWS to NVDA.

Sent: Tuesday, November 2, 2021 4:54 PM

Even so , its still going to be expensive however much the discount is

Sent: 02 November 2021 20:20

Hi Chris,

Had you read my original message, you would have seen that I was talking about their summer sale and not their regular pricing.

In that sale, they discount both SMAs and new licences.

Cheers,

Ed

On 2 November 2021 20:15:52 "Chris via groups.io" <chrismedley=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

according to sight and sound upgrades or maintenance agreements are available to existing jaws owners only

Sent: 02 November 2021 18:09

No Chris, the £150 sale price extends to new licences not just to SMAs.

Cheers,

Ed

On 2 November 2021 15:44:34 "Chris via groups.io" <chrismedley=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Dont forget the £735+ vat to purchase jaws home before you can purchase  an sma or upgrade licence

Sent: 02 November 2021 12:56

Fi Billy,

The annual subscription mentioned isn’t available tu us in the UK as yet.

However, every summer Sight and Sound reduce the price of JAWS and other FS products in line with sales offered by FS. I can’t remember what the price of a JAWS licence was this year, but it wasn’t over £150 I don’t think.

Hanging on until July/August is likely to be your best bet, though NVDA as has already been suggested is a capable screen reader which may well meet your needs.

Cheers,

Ed

On 2 November 2021 10:06:53 "Billy Inglis" <billyinglis49@...> wrote:

hi guys, I have been Informed purchasing the Jaws Screen Reader from Freedom Scientific these days is way to expensive. So I am asking if there are other ways of purchasing the software for us blindys?, Billy

--

Michael Ryan Hunsaker, M.Ed., Ph.D. (he/him)
NLS-LOC Certified UEB Transcriber
Teacher for Students with Visual Impairments
Davis School District
 CONTACT
I will reply to communication between the hours of 7:15-15:00pm MST

Voice/Text
Office +1 (801) 402-5955
Google Voice +1 (385) 645-7021
(text message or call and leave a voicemail, and I will return your call ASAP)
Email ryhunsaker@...
 Mailing Addresses
(Primary)
Davis High School
325 South Main St
Kaysville, UT 84037

(Secondary)
Fairfield Jr. High
951 Fairfield Rd
Kaysville, UT 84037

——————————————————————————
FERPA/HIPPA CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT
Please keep in mind that communications via email over the internet are not secure. Although it is unlikely, there is a possibility that information you include in an email can be intercepted and read by other parties besides the person to whom it is addressed.
The contents of this email message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information and may be legally protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message or their agent, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply email and then delete this message and any attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, copying, or storage of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.