moderated Re: different dos screen readers back in 1989

Hank William Merchant <hank_w@...>

Good morning everyone,

I dont know personally if jaws existed back in 1989, but I know for absolute 100% certainty that a really, really good screen reader for dos existed back in the Spring of 1989 called Slimware, which was developped by a programmer really nice fellow by the name of David Costician, who was the owner and head of the company that made and was constantly updating this screen reader called Slimware that was based in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. It was this screen reader for dos called slimware after I was introduced to it back in the Spring of 1989 at the head ofice of the Canadian National Institute for the Blind in Toronto, Canada that was the first screen reader that I used that I startaed using in September of that year 1989 on a dos laptop computer.

Later in the early 90s this programmer  David Cosstician developed a really, really good screen reader for Windows called Windowbridge, which was being updated constantly and coming out with new releases often, which I personally was using as my Windows screen reader back then,  until the very surpriseingly, unfortunate death of this very nice programmer fellow David Costician later on around 2001, which subsequently ended any future developments of this really, really good Windows screen reader called Windowbridge back in 2001. So it was at that point back in 2001 that I started using jaws for Windows. I cant say with 100% certainty, but I believe this really, really good screen reder for windows called Windowbridge was the first screen reader of any kind to work with Windows programs.

Also back in 1989 there was also a dos screen reader called Arctic.

Kindest regards,

Hank

From: Glenn / Lenny [mailto:glenn@...]
Subject: Jaws Screen Reader cost?.