moderated Re: Jaws Screen Reader cost?.

Michael Munn

Time sure does travel. I didn't know back then there are more options to choose from when it comes to assistive Technologies. I am a new user of Jaws and have been using the screen reader since 2016. Back then in 2016, people could spend $300 and buy a student license if they wanted to go the cheap route. How the payment works is you pay $300 every year and after four years, you own the licence. While you are paying your license During the years, your versions of Jaws  will be updated and after you paid off your license, it is up to you to maintain it. For students who are still in school, if they paid off their licence within the four years of purchase, Freedom Scientific will update their software for them until they graduate high school. The reason why they started a student program with APH back then was to gain more customers in my opinion. Getting students as young as 6 hooked up with Jaws is perhaps the best marketing strategy. Jaws is the only screen reader that their TVI and parents will force them to learn ,and once they graduate, they will only know how to use Jaws instead of other screen readers.  I don't know why they stopped offering this method.

Freedom Scientific Teaming up with Aph to develop a student program had helped me a lot because I got hold of Jaws and learned the basic part within only a week.

That is my story with Jaws.

Best regards

Michael H. Munn

JAWS Certified, 2019

Member: Georgia Association of Blind Students National Federation of the Blind of Georgia

www.nfbga.org

Member: National association of Blind Students National Federation of the Blind

www.nfb.org

www.hadley.edu

On Tue, Nov 2, 2021 at 11:31 PM stewartross via groups.io <stewartross=sky.com@groups.io> wrote:
hi steve thats interesting
i didn't think that they gave that options, is this just for jaws or for other products.
just out of interest,
do u offer this this service?
from stew