moderated Re: Jaws Screen Reader cost?.

Vaughan Dodd <vdodd001@...>

Screen readers existed prior to Windows, Jaws being one of them.

Some of those pre-windows products were very smart. At one time, we had more product choice than we do now.

Vaughan.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gerald Levy via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, 3 November 2021 5:55 am
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Jaws Screen Reader cost?.

You have been using JAWS since 1989?  That would be impossible because JAWS was not introduced until 1995.  In fact, I don't think any screen reader existed in 1989, not even Voice Over.

Gerald

On 11/2/2021 12:36 PM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:

Steve, as a 54-year old very active technology user who has been using Jaws since 1989 I have tried to use NVDA a few times and I just can't do much with it because of the differences. Yes, maybe some keys are similar, but it still is quite different as well. Of course then again I just have not felt motivated to really spend time learning it to the point where I might feel more comfortable with it since I always keep my Jaws up to date.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Nutt
Sent: November 2, 2021 9:02 AM

Hi Billy,

I don’t think it would.

Many of the keystrokes are similar to JAWS.

All the best

Steve

--

To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Billy Inglis
Sent: 02 November 2021 15:48

hi ED, at my time of life NVDA would be too much of a learning curve, as well as the health Issues I have,

but thanks you guys, Billy

Sent: Tuesday, November 2, 2021 12:56 PM

Fi Billy,

The annual subscription mentioned isn’t available tu us in the UK as yet.

However, every summer Sight and Sound reduce the price of JAWS and other FS products in line with sales offered by FS. I can’t remember what the price of a JAWS licence was this year, but it wasn’t over £150 I don’t think.

Hanging on until July/August is likely to be your best bet, though NVDA as has already been suggested is a capable screen reader which may well meet your needs.

Cheers,

Ed

On 2 November 2021 10:06:53 "Billy Inglis" <billyinglis49@...> wrote:

hi guys, I have been Informed purchasing the Jaws Screen Reader from Freedom Scientific these days is way to expensive. So I am asking if there are other ways of purchasing the software for us blindys?, Billy

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.