moderated Re: next door question

Judy

Steve, no insult taken on my part here. I was trained by my sighted boss at work years back, who knew enough to teach someone who had never used a computer in their life. I never went through a regular computer training class. That’s why this list is so good, as I am not familiar with the alt down arrow for opening combo boxes. I have picked up more things over the years for sure. Thanks for that update and how you accessed it, and I’m glad you included what you did because there are obviously others having problems who probably are more savvy than I am, and it shouldn’t be so hard. Please let us know ifyou receive a reply from them. Thanks again. Judy & Libby

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2021 3:08 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: next door question

Out of curiosity I just signed up for Next Door and while there aren't that many people on there for my small community, there are some and I was able to read their posts, I was also able to start a new message and since I noticed one name of a person I knew I selected him and that worked fine.

I also went into the Help section under My Account and after I searched for "Accessibility" and this produced no results I selected the "Contact Us" option.

I was then presented with a form where I had to select a category, what my request was about, i.e. Feature request/improvement and then I could fill in my email, name, address, a subject and my message.

I was able to access the two combo boxes to select the topic and such without any issues, but I had to use Alt + Down arrow to open them and arrow through the choices since Enter did not work.

I just wrote that I am new and visually impaired using a screenreader and that in a recent discussion on a mailing list many people complained about the accessibility of the Next Door website and I then included maybe half a dozen messages from the thread where people were saying how they found accessibility lacking and that some left the platform.

As I said, so far I find no major issues, but then of course I haven't done much on the site. I would like to preface my next comment by saying I don't mean to insult anybody, but I do sometimes find that people say a site is not accessible when in fact it is and they just don't know how to leverage the functions of their screenreader to their fullest potential. That does not mean improvements shouldn't be made, but Jaws officially says that Alt _+ Down Arrow opens a combo box and while Enter may work on many, if a combo box only responds to Alt + Down Arrow and somebody doesn't know this it does not make said combo box or webpage inaccessible.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard B. McDonald
Sent: October 28, 2021 11:25 AM

I had to leave NextDoor a couple of years ago because it became very inaccessible.  Prior to that change, it was mostly accessible.  This really sucks because it was a fun, useful and important app.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Judy
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2021 9:06 AM

Laurie, thanks, that lets me know it’s not my 2019 jaws, even with the most current it doesn’t work. I can reply to someone else’s message, but that’s all I can do. I guess they care about neighbors as long as they aren’t disabled. It really steams me, something maybe the NFB or ACB can get on. Maybe a law suit would give them inspiration. Judy & Libby

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Lori Lynn
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2021 10:44 AM

It’s funny that this question was sent. It’s been several months since I last used the page. Back then I could find and do whatever I needed to do. This week I gave up at it completely. I’m using Windows 10 and JAWS 22.

Lori Lynn

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Barbara Sheinbein
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2021 9:33 AM

I agree with you.  I am not sure accessibility is of much interest to them.  Sad face.

Barbara

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Judy
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2021 10:41 PM
Subject: next door question

Am I the only one who has noticed that Next Door has become more and more inaccessible. I used to be able to go to the home page, find a link for posting a message, pick the category etc. Now none of the combo boxes work for the purposes of picking your category so it won’t go through. Going to the help section and filling out a contact form is the same thing; none of the combo boxes work to choose topics. Has anyone had any success with this, posting a message etc? Using win 10 and jaws 19. Judy & Libby

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.