moderated Re: next door question

Judy

Steve, no insult taken on my part here. I was trained by my sighted boss at work years back, who knew enough to teach someone who had never used a computer in their life. I never went through a regular computer training class. That’s why this list is so good, as I am not familiar with the alt down arrow for opening combo boxes. I have picked up more things over the years for sure. Thanks for that update and how you accessed it, and I’m glad you included what you did because there are obviously others having problems who probably are more savvy than I am, and it shouldn’t be so hard. Please let us know ifyou receive a reply from them. Thanks again. Judy & Libby

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2021 3:08 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: next door question

Out of curiosity I just signed up for Next Door and while there aren't that many people on there for my small community, there are some and I was able to read their posts, I was also able to start a new message and since I noticed one name of a person I knew I selected him and that worked fine.

I also went into the Help section under My Account and after I searched for "Accessibility" and this produced no results I selected the "Contact Us" option.

I was then presented with a form where I had to select a category, what my request was about, i.e. Feature request/improvement and then I could fill in my email, name, address, a subject and my message.

I was able to access the two combo boxes to select the topic and such without any issues, but I had to use Alt + Down arrow to open them and arrow through the choices since Enter did not work.

I just wrote that I am new and visually impaired using a screenreader and that in a recent discussion on a mailing list many people complained about the accessibility of the Next Door website and I then included maybe half a dozen messages from the thread where people were saying how they found accessibility lacking and that some left the platform.

As I said, so far I find no major issues, but then of course I haven't done much on the site. I would like to preface my next comment by saying I don't mean to insult anybody, but I do sometimes find that people say a site is not accessible when in fact it is and they just don't know how to leverage the functions of their screenreader to their fullest potential. That does not mean improvements shouldn't be made, but Jaws officially says that Alt _+ Down Arrow opens a combo box and while Enter may work on many, if a combo box only responds to Alt + Down Arrow and somebody doesn't know this it does not make said combo box or webpage inaccessible.