moderated Re: JAWS not speaking at all on starting system

Dave Durber

Turab:

After you turn on the computer and JAWS does not speak for about 30 to 50 seconds, press CTRL+WINDOWS KEY+ENTER, to turn on Narrator. If you use a Windows password or, a Microsoft Account password, to log into Windows, Narrator should tell you that you are at to point where you need to enter either password.

Something I recommend any person who cannot visually read the screen should do, that is, turn on the "play Windows startup sound" function. By default, this is not turned on when Windows is installed.

How to turn on the "play Windows startup sound" function in Windows 10

1. When you are at the desktop, tap the WINDOWS Key, and type "change system sounds" (without the quotes, in the search edit field. Generally, as soon as you type the two letters ch, Windows usually delimits to this result. If it does, press ENTER, to open the utility.

2. When the utility opens, JAWS will speak some Windows information about system sound themes. If you do not wish to listen to the information, Tap the CTRL key, to stop JAWS speaking the infomation.

3, Tap the TAB key, until JAWS says, "play Windows startup sound". JAWS will tell you it is unchecked. This is the default setting.

4. Tap the SPACE BAR, to check the check box.

5. Tap the TAB key until you get to the Apply button, press the SPACE BAR, to apply the change

6. Tap the TAB key, until you get to the OK button, Press the SPACE BAR or, the ENTER key, to activate the OK button, to close the utility and return the system to the Desktop.

7. When you turn on the computer, restart Windows or, you wake the computer using either the Sleep mode or, Hibernation Mode, the play Windows startup sound will be played.

8. After you hear the Windows Startup sound, if you are someone who needs to enter a Windows password or, a Microsoft account password to log in to Windows, and you have not installed another screen reader or, you have, but it has not been set to start at the Log on screen, this is where you need to press CTRL+WINDOWS KEY+ENTER, to start Narrator. When Narrator starts speaking, Narrator should tell you , that you are at the point where you need to enter the Windows password or, the Microsoft account password to log into Windows.

9. If you are someone who has disabled the default log on screen, when you hear the play Windows startup sound, Windows is at the Desktop. If you have not installed another screen reader or, you have, but it has not been set to start after Windows Log on, this is where you need to press CTRL+WINDOWS KEY+ENTER, to start Narrator and get access to Windows.

HTH

Dave