moderated Re: Setting search parameters in windows 10

Mike,

I am not quite sure I understand what you mean by your first example, as the default windows indexing includes both file names and contents which can get messy as far as results go.  That's one reason I far prefer the Everything Search tool (with its default settings) when I want to search on file name versus file contents.

There also seems to be some crossing in your message between Windows Search and a search in File Explorer, which while there is some overlap, are not the same things.

I always think of Windows Search as being "global across the scope," which in the case of the files: operator is all indexed files in all indexed folders.

The main thing I use Windows Search for is to find files based on content on the rare occasions, and they do occur, when I can't for the life of me remember the correct file name or part of that file name, but can remember some distinctive phrase or word that is in the file I'm looking for.

    ~ William Plomer