moderated Re: What program is best when it comes to making a system image?

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 07:25 AM, Steve Nutt wrote:
I never back up Windows installations or apps, because resetting Windows is very accessible nowadays, with Narrrator.
-
In matters of taste, there is no right or wrong, so your choice is absolutely not wrong.

That being said, I'd rather gnaw off my own fingers than have to reconfigure a Windows system I've been using, and customizing, for years.  It's just so much easier to take a system image, including all user data regardless of what it's drive may have been, to have in my back pocket to restore from.  It usually takes me less than an hour, start to finish, to recover from a system image backup.  It takes a lot longer than that to do a fresh install of Windows and then do all the customizations I can recall that I've done as well as reinstall all the programs.

And having your user data on a separate drive will do you no good if that drive were to fail.  But I presume you are consistently backing up that drive somehow.

There was a time where I separated user data and Windows on separate drives.  But in this age of huge drives, cheap, I don't.  The probability of any drive failing is about equal, and if you're using an SSD you need to be backing it up even more than an HDD (which should absolutely be backed up routinely, too) because when they fail they are beastly expensive to recover any data from if that's necessary.  With backup drives and/or cloud backup storage being so cheap these days, backing up, whether by system image or otherwise, should be a standard part of computer ownership - at least if you care about your data and never want to lose it.  I can assure anyone who uses a computer that they will, eventually, suffer a drive failure.  It may be only once every 20 years, but if you lose everything you'll regret, bitterly, not having bothered to take backups.

    ~ William Plomer