moderated Re: What program is best when it comes to making a system image?

Steve Nutt

Hi Brian,

I also make sure that all my personal files are never on Drive C:. I never back up Windows installations or apps, because resetting Windows is very accessible nowadays, with Narrrator.

I’d sooner restore Windows, then reinstall my apps.

Just personal, but I have never had to restore a system image.

All the best

Steve

--

To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: 13 October 2021 16:44
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: What program is best when it comes to making a system image?

I absolutely hate, "What is the best . . .," questions about anything because best is really very subjective.

Macrium Reflect is a very good tool, its free version is more than adequate for any home user (and many small business users, thought they cannot use it under the license terms), and I wrote a tutorial about using it with a screen reader:  Using Macrium Reflect Free with a Screen Reader

There are very precious few backup and recovery options that are accessible on the recovery side, and those I know about are paid.  I don't even worry about the recovery side as very few people DIY the recovery.  But because the recovery virtually always is in an environment that is not Windows, there's no screen reader support for it, much like there is not for UEFI/BIOS.

But having a backup for anyone to recover from, including yourself with sighted assistance if the need arises, is vastly preferable to losing everything or having to pay hundreds of dollars, minimum, to send a failed HDD out to a data recovery facility.  And at this time recovery fees for SSDs is at least double to triple what it costs to recover a HDD.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

~ William Plomer

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.