Re: VPN?

Brent Harding

This is one of the shortcomings, to access that machine's desktop remotely needs Jaws at the server. It might not be so bad if it is one machine, not sure if they even need to buy another one for it. I'd imagine that having the files locally means you end up not having the changes made on the system, and your co-workers don't have what you do until someone merges it in either, maybe.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Claudia" <cdelreal1973@sbcglobal.net>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 4:00 PM
Subject: Re: VPN?

Okay,

Here are more questions then. I don't remember making mention of Citrix, but we do actually use that. There is a state database on Citrix that has all client information on it.
I work for a state vocational rehabilitation agency.

As it stands, I cannot use Citrix to get into this database because Jaws is obviously installed on my, and a few other users' machines. From my understanding, Citrix would need to be installed on that server statewide, in order for me to be able to use it to access the client database.

So, the IT solution is to come down and install physical copies of Jaws and the database on my laptop, so that I will have instant access essentially.
In other words, I'll be able to launch the client database from the laptop, instead of having to log into it remotely.

So, are there many others using Citrix with Jaws, and if so, what capacity do you use it in?

Claudia

PS. All of this is giving me a headache; I am becoming more confused, by the minute.

On 4/18/2012 3:41 PM, Marquette, Ed wrote:
Claudia:
If it is a true VPN, you should be just fine. I use one every single day, and JAWS is not affected in the slightest.
The problem is that sometimes the term is used loosely to refer to a variety of remote access solutions. Even if it is really a Citrix connection (not a real VPN), JAWS still works. It is just a little more challenging n that JAWS needs to be loaded on the Citrix server too, and you need to have the more expensive JAWS edition. I have it, but I don't remember what it is called.