moderated Re: What program is best when it comes to making a system image?

Chris Hill

Fascinating.  What os?  I can't imagine win 10 allowing that considering that you can't even access some files without changing permissions.

CH

On 10/12/2021 09:23, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
Yes, I'm using a restored image now.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Hill" <hillco@earthlink.net>
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2021 9:15 AM
Subject: Re: What program is best when it comes to making a system image?

Have you ever tried to restore that? Frankly, I don't think you are getting it all, that sounds like a nice way to back up all the files on the system, but that isn't the same thing as an image.

CH

On 10/12/2021 08:44, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
When I make a system image, I boot to a talking WinPE either on CD or USB, and zip it up with 7Zip.
There are two files that don't need to be zipped when doing this, because they are just windows temporary files, and they are typically as big as the amount of RAM your system has.
They are hiberfil.sys and pagefile.sys
They are both in the C: root, and cannot be deleted while your version of windows is running, but if you boot to WinPE you can delete them, and then proceed to make an image of the C: drive.
Then when you reboot, windows will recreate these files.
Glenn
----- Original Message ----- From: "David Ingram" <dingram269@earthlink.net>