moderated Re: window or mac

On Sun, Oct 10, 2021 at 03:28 PM, Marianne Denning wrote:
There is really a big difference between VO on your iPhone and VO on a Mac. I thought it was learning to use a text to speech system all over.
-
And, in addition, there is a really big difference between iOS, and its touch interface, and MacOS, even if you have a touch enabled Mac.

I thank you for confirming, from firsthand experience, what I was attempting to communicate earlier.  No iPhone user should delude themselves into thinking that a Mac is just an iPhone that sits on a desk, and vice versa.

The learning curve for any new OS is shallow, lengthy, and laborious.  You can certainly learn "the basics" pretty quickly, but you always get caught out because something you thought was not a basic, but that was already on "full automatic" mode for you in your familiar ecosystem, has to be learned again.  Operating systems are much like onions in that you really don't realize how many layers you've already peeled within an ecosystem you're familiar with and how long it takes to have equal ease and proficiency when you switch.  It's not a decision to be taken lightly, no matter the direction in which jumping is being considered.

    ~ William Plomer