moderated Re: how do you underline a word?

On Sun, Oct 10, 2021 at 04:40 AM, Panagiotis Antonopoulos wrote:
The way I do it is, after finishing with the underlined or bolded text, I hit control-u once again. Jaws should say “underline off”.
-
That works if you hit CTRL + U, type the text you want underlined then hit CTRL + U again when you reach the end of that text.

But a lot of people (including me), for whatever reason, don't do our formatting "in real time," which is what you are doing when you use that technique.  With sighted people such as myself I think much of that comes from the fact that very few know most of the keyboard shortcuts to do anything and having to take your hands away from the keyboard, mid-sentence and mid-thought, to tweak the formatting often breaks your train of thought.  It's a very quick thing to toggle via keyboard command while typing if you know how to do that.

I say this because I have seen people select a word or chunk of text, hit CTRL + U to underline it, but then forget to either deselect it or throw focus elsewhere before hitting CTRL + U again.  So long as a given chunk of text remains selected, any of the formatting commands will act as a toggle, so if you're not careful you could undo the formatting you just did.

    ~ William Plomer