moderated Re: Jaws scripting and job success questions

Rod

Friends:

Mike is getting a lot of good feedback, but I wanted to chime-in once more to suggest that beyond the immediate use of scripting, it is good to be able to think in this manner regardless of what job you do, if you are able to acquire such a skill.

Learning how to script allows you to also understand why software are inaccessible. You may never become a scripter beyond there but this will help you to explain to future employers exactly what needs to be done to assist you. It is about empowerment at the end of the day.

When I was practicing law, the software I wanted to use for my firm had some minor accessible challenges. Because I had been exposed to scripting, I knew that those challenges could in-fact be overcome. I however was not equipped to tackle the challenge on my own. I knew enough to reach out to Jackie M to assist and she assisted me to write a 5 line script that resolved 90 percent of the issues I was facing. I was able to use the software for many ears before I adopted something else.

Wile I do not script professionally, I have all kinds of little scripts I wrote to enhance how I use the computer to increase productivity on a daily basis. And because I was exposed to scripting, I was also able to pick-up Python fairly quickly. I do not program professionally but I leverage my Python skills frequently to automate boring stuff that gets in the way of my productivity.

so, it is more about possessing the technical knowledge if it is something you can acquire and less about predicting how and whether you will ever use it on the job. Learning how to script is learning how to solve problems. You will need to be thinking in this manner on the job, regardless of what the job is.

rod,

Rod Alcidonis, Esq.