moderated Re: Jaws scripting and job success questions

Justin Williams

That person is one in a million who could and would do that.

The company wasn't following WACG accessibility guidelines, because a regular CSR employee shouldn't have to do that. Most don't have that knowledge, and sighted employees don't do that.

That is great that this individual can do that, but that is way out of the norm, and an unnecessary to work as a customer service rep.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Michael Walker
Sent: Friday, October 8, 2021 4:34 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Jaws scripting and job success questions

Hello all,

Thanks again for the variety of responses. To answer some of the questions: I got my bachelors degree in information systems. I worked as a programmer analyst for six years.

It’s really helpful to hear from those of you who still found job success without knowing scripting. I would still be willing to learn some basic scripting, as it became helpful, but it’s definitely not something I know much about. I realize it takes a lot of time, to become an expert. What made me think of this question was a podcast that I listened to through the American Council of the Blind. Someone was talking about their success as a customer service person. They said that they had to learn to script their screen reader, which they did in the evening, so they could have success on the job. I found that a little overwhelming, because I thought oh no, I don’t know anything about scripting. I didn’t use scripting in my previous job as a programmer. I used the command line and visual studio a lot. I also used a Clips.

To the person who said they would use indeed and LinkedIn for the job search, I am on those sites. You can also look for remote work opportunities on those sites, by putting the keyword remote in the search on indeed for example.

Pam, what technologies did you work with as a programmer analyst?

Thank you,
Mike

On Oct 8, 2021, at 1:49 PM, Ekstrand, Pamela A. -ND <pamela.a.ekstrand.-nd@disney.com> wrote:

Hi Mike,

It involved a lot of one-on-one work with end users, which I really enjoyed. I always brought a laptop with me to meetings to take notes. The main issue I had with that job was their use of diagrams, which obviously presented a problem for me. Generally, though, I could get the same description of what was being shown in the picture for visually oriented people, so it didn't end up being a major issue.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael
Walker via groups.io
Sent: Friday, October 8, 2021 12:54 PM

Hi Pam,

What was your job like as a Systems Analyst?

To the rest of you who have responded, thank you. I’ll probably continue by checking websites like indeed.com for my skills.

Mike

On Oct 8, 2021, at 10:33 AM, Ekstrand, Pamela A. -ND <pamela.a.ekstrand.-nd@disney.com> wrote:

Hi Mike,

I have not done any JAWS scripting and have been working in the IT field as a programmer, systems analyst and now DBA for more years than I care to count. I'm not sure which websites are the best place to hunt for jobs these days as I haven't looked for about 15 years.

I have found most things that I have needed to use for my jobs over the years have been fairly accessible, but I'm sure it depends on the kind of job you are wanting. In situations where something has not been accessible, there is usually an alternative way of accomplishing the same thing.

Good luck to you. I know the job hunting process can be frustrating, but in my opinion, I would not concentrate on heavily learning JAWS scripting without first knowing what you might need it for.

Pam

Walker via groups.io
Sent: Friday, October 8, 2021 11:11 AM

Hi Lori,

I probably plan to stay in IT. What kind of work did you do for Social Security? How did you find that job? Now days, what websites would you research for job postings? What kind of IT work is most commonly performed by the blind community, that would present the least amount of accessibility issues?

Thank you,
Mike

On Oct 8, 2021, at 9:13 AM, Lori Lynn <grandma.lori@hotmail.com> wrote:
Mike,

It all depends on what type of job you are looking for and the size of the company. I worked for the Social Security Administration for 34 years before retiring. They had a department that was responsible for assistive technology testing as well as writing needed scripts to make it all work. I know absolutely nothing about scripting and was extremely successful in my various jobs with the agency.

If you want to learn scripting, then do it. But you can certainly go through life without knowing it.

Lori Lynn

Walker
Sent: Friday, October 8, 2021 2:39 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Jaws scripting and job success questions

Hello all,

As I conduct my job search, how important is learning jaws scripting? I know very little about it. Can knowing it fix absolutely everything that is inaccessible? Without knowing what job I will be accepted for, I feel lost at where to start on learning jaws scripting, to get skilled at what needs to be made accessible. I just know that scripting is quite a time consuming process to learn.

What technology careers do most blind people commonly pursue? What has jaws scripting been able to make accessible? Where has it not been helpful? Is Jaws scripting essential, to have any successful career as a blind person? Have any of you been successful in your jobs, without being expert scripters? I feel a little concerned about all of this, because I wonder if I would have been able to have been 100% independent on my previous job, had I known scripting. Is it a panacea?

Thank you,
Mike

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.