From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Michael Walker
Sent: Friday, October 8, 2021 4:34 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Jaws scripting and job success questions

Hello all,

Thanks again for the variety of responses. To answer some of the questions: I got my bachelors degree in information systems. I worked as a programmer analyst for six years.

It’s really helpful to hear from those of you who still found job success without knowing scripting. I would still be willing to learn some basic scripting, as it became helpful, but it’s definitely not something I know much about. I realize it takes a lot of time, to become an expert. What made me think of this question was a podcast that I listened to through the American Council of the Blind. Someone was talking about their success as a customer service person. They said that they had to learn to script their screen reader, which they did in the evening, so they could have success on the job. I found that a little overwhelming, because I thought oh no, I don’t know anything about scripting. I didn’t use scripting in my previous job as a programmer. I used the command line and visual studio a lot. I also used a Clips.

To the person who said they would use indeed and LinkedIn for the job search, I am on those sites. You can also look for remote work opportunities on those sites, by putting the keyword remote in the search on indeed for example.

Pam, what technologies did you work with as a programmer analyst?

Thank you,
Mike

On Oct 8, 2021, at 1:49 PM, Ekstrand, Pamela A. -ND <pamela.a.ekstrand.-nd@disney.com> wrote:

Hi Mike,

It involved a lot of one-on-one work with end users, which I really enjoyed. I always brought a laptop with me to meetings to take notes. The main issue I had with that job was their use of diagrams, which obviously presented a problem for me. Generally, though, I could get the same description of what was being shown in the picture for visually oriented people, so it didn't end up being a major issue.