From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rahul Bajaj
Sent: Sunday, October 3, 2021 3:02 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Reading Spanish content with JAWS

Hi,

I am learning Spanish and want JAWS to read out in Spanish the content that is in Spanish. I write stuff in Spanish in two ways:

First, By using the English keyboard and spelling words in Spanish e.g. hablar, amigos, hola, muy bien, etc.

Alternatively, I use the Spanish keyboard where the text I type appears in Spanish.

However, the problem that I face is this. I want to be in a situation where JAWS reads the Spanish content with a Spanish accent and the English content with an English accent. If I switch to a Spanish JAWS voice, everything is read out in Spanish, even the stuff in plain English. The moment I write even a small word using Spanish characters, JAWS will read the whole sentence with a Spanish accent.
This makes the English component of the sentence impossible to decipher.

can anyone suggest ways to toggle between the English and Spanish speech synthesizers on the fly, so I can switch from one to the other mid-sentence? This way, i will be able to read the Spanish component with a Spanish accent and the English component with an English accent.

Thank you. Please do not suggest any Braille-related solutions.

Thank you.

Warmly,
Rahul

Rahul Bajaj
Senior Resident Fellow,
Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy, New Delhi, India Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018) University of Oxford