moderated Re: Reading Spanish content with JAWS

Milton Ota

You might want to try different Spanish voices from the list of Vocalizer speech engines by first going to the Freedom Scientific Download section of the website and testing the voices there.

Once you have found the voice you want in Spanish pull up the Options menu in your version of JAWS open that menu and and press the letter V for voices and then press the letter A for adding a Voice.

I think you can also download a self-extracting voice file and run its installation from wherever your downloads are saved.

HTH

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rahul Bajaj
Sent: Sunday, October 3, 2021 3:02 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Reading Spanish content with JAWS

Hi,

I am learning Spanish and want JAWS to read out in Spanish the content that is in Spanish. I write stuff in Spanish in two ways:

First, By using the English keyboard and spelling words in Spanish e.g. hablar, amigos, hola, muy bien, etc.

Alternatively, I use the Spanish keyboard where the text I type appears in Spanish.

However, the problem that I face is this. I want to be in a situation where JAWS reads the Spanish content with a Spanish accent and the English content with an English accent. If I switch to a Spanish JAWS voice, everything is read out in Spanish, even the stuff in plain English. The moment I write even a small word using Spanish characters, JAWS will read the whole sentence with a Spanish accent.
This makes the English component of the sentence impossible to decipher.

can anyone suggest ways to toggle between the English and Spanish speech synthesizers on the fly, so I can switch from one to the other mid-sentence? This way, i will be able to read the Spanish component with a Spanish accent and the English component with an English accent.

Thank you. Please do not suggest any Braille-related solutions.

Thank you.

Warmly,
Rahul

--
--
Rahul Bajaj
Senior Resident Fellow,
Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy, New Delhi, India Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018) University of Oxford

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.