moderated Re: Question about Windows Defender

Bill White

Hi, Marianne. I think what is going on is that your browser has cookies related to Facebook and Epsilon. You need to get rid of all your cookies associated with Facebook, m.facebook and Epsilon. This is why I wanted to talk with you, and either walk you through the process of starting with a fresh browser with no cookies associated with these websites. I believe that, if I could look at your system, I could rid you of this stuff, and leave all your other cookies in place. I hardly ever delete all my cookies. But when your browser starts giving you trouble, the first thing to do is delete all items in the cache, delete your browsing history and any cookies associated with sites that are giving you trouble.

If you wish, I will help you. Please write back, and I'll see what I can do. I'll need to know which browser you are using when you get epsilon and so forth.

Thank you.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Marianne Denning
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 2:17 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Question about Windows Defender

When I type in anything related to FaceBook it takes me to Epsilon to set up my new password. My frustration is this has happened 3 times in about 6 weeks and it is extremely frustrating. I wondered if it could be a virus or something similar.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 5:13 AM
Subject: Re: Question about Windows Defender

If the messages come from Facebook I don't see what it has to do with Windows Defender. You might simply want to go ahead and change it and it will probably fix the issue. I have actually seen notifications in the iOS keychain app where for some less important logins where I have a comparatively simple password it says that this password has been identified to be part of some password leak and I should change it. Maybe the messages from Facebook are for a similar reason.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marianne Denning
Sent: September 27, 2021 1:26 PM
Subject: Question about Windows Defender

I am running Windows Defender and I keep getting messages from FaceBook to change my password. It has happened 3 times in the last month. I know this is not a JAWS question but does anyone have any suggestions about why this is happening? I have a Windows 10 computer and all Windows updates are current.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.