moderated Re: Computer won't allow me too install windows 11.

Hi,

Actually, gen 8 (coffee lake) or later with certain 7th generation processors supported due to feedback from Insiders about it.

A complete list of Windows 11 supported Intel processors can be found here:

Windows processor requirements Windows 11 supported Intel processors | Microsoft Docs

Cheers,

Joseph

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Loy
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 9:27 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Computer won't allow me too install windows 11.

There are I5 processors but with different generation of that processor. Windows 11 will require a I5 generation 7 or above. I have a I3 10 gen and it is eligible for the upgrade. I also have an I5 4gen and it is not eligible.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 9:59 AM

So, when would a computer with I 5 have been made?  I probably got the specs wrong however, a laptop on Amazon has a I 5 processor.  That almost sounds like it was made over 10 years ago.  How is that possible. As in how could they sell such an old computer.   

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 2:58 AM

You always get what you pay for. From what I know of Computers for the Blind they usually sell machines which are donated to them and which they refurbish, but this will mean they are probably most likely older and nothing that is more than 4 or at most 5 years old will run Windows 11 because for the most part you need an 8th Generation Intel processor (a very few 7th Gen Intel CPU's have been allowed) or an AMD Ryzen 2000 series processor.

Intel released its 8th Generation processors in August 2017 so at the earliest computers bought in late summer/early fall 2017 would have had such a CPU.

AMD released its Ryzen 2000 series CPU's in April of 2018 so unless you bought an AMD computer after that it is unlikely it will support Windows 11.

My Asus Zenbook which I bought in November 2016 when 7th Generation Intel processorswere already available still had a 6th Generation CPU and even though it has a TPM 2.0 chip, uses UEFI for the BIOS and SecureBoot is enabled it still won't run Windows 11 because the processor itself does not meet the requirements.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Diamond
Sent: September 27, 2021 11:18 PM

Albert, if it is any consolation, I asked the MS help desk to run a diagnostic on a computer that my sister bought from Amazon a few months ago and has set to set it up.  Finally I just asked her if you are not going to set it up, just give it to me.  Well, along with other things that needed tweaking including putting on the latest version of JAWS, I thought as long as the tech is peeking in my computer, she might as well look to see if it can run windows 11.  Apparently, the processor from what I could determine from her thick accent, is not fast enough.  She re-assured me that 10 would be operational till 025.  Also she suggested I contact HP to see if there is anything they can do to fix the problem.  Call me naive, but, I’d think computers would not be sold if the processor will be shortly to slow.  Mind you, I’m buying a laptop from Amazon with just DDR 3 RAM, which I was told is pretty much obsolete now. 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Albert Cutolo
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2021 9:26 PM

Good evening Brian and Joseph, 

Yes, the person from the Microsoft disability answer desk,  did run the TPM and it did indeed came too the conclusion  that this particular computer wouldn’t be able too install windows 11.  Perhaps it is because I purchased this from computers for the blind. 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2021 11:13 PM

On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 09:20 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

We also need the exact model of this computer so we can figure out if the computer is truly ready for Windows 11.

-
Not that this wouldn't be helpful, but the very latest Windows PC Health Check that Microsoft has released is supposed to be quite accurate as far as detecting whether the hardware on which it is being run can be updated to Windows 11.

It sounds like the results of a run of that tool already has specifically detected that Mr. Cutolo's machine does not meet the minimum hardware requirements for TPM, even if it met every other requirement.  And all it takes is one of the required bits to be missing to put the kibosh on upgrading to Windows 11.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

~ William Plomer

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.