moderated Re: Computer won't allow me too install windows 11.

David Diamond

Thanks, Joseph.  It is for Business and a Dell.  At least it is classified as a business lap top.  It has 16 G RAM and 500 G SSD. I got turned on to SSD when a blind agency donated a laptop computer to me and it was originally a 7, upgraded to 10 and was slower then molasses in January. The tech at a computer store was able to copy over from the hard drive to the new SSD, but, said the hard drive was not salvageable, as in could not be used as an external hard drive.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 7:11 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Computer won't allow me too install windows 11.

Hi,

I5 is a brand/class. The first Core I3/I5/I7 processors were made in 2008, and Intel added Core I9 to the line-up recently. These four classes target different market segment:

  • Core I3: entry consumer
  • Core I5: mainstream consumer and business
  • Core I7: high-end consumer and business
  • Core I9: enthusiasts

A typical Intel Core processor is labeled as:

Intel Core I{class}-{generation}{range}{name}{suffix}

For example, a Core I-5-10400 processor is a tenth generation Core I5 processor for desktops. The label gets a bit complicated with recent mobile processors such as:

Intel Core I{class}-{generation}{name}G{power}

For example, Core I5-1145G7 is an 11th generation processor designed for a typical laptop computer. Intel knows that this creates confusion, so the processor prefixes its full name with the generation it is part of (for example: 11th Gen Intel Core).

There will be a general advisory on Windows 11 support (especially from screen reader user’s point of view) to be published on a forum dedicated to discussing a combination of Windows and various screen readers out there.

Cheers,

Joseph