moderated Re: Dell laptops freezing or restarting with Jaws

David Diamond

Now all of you have got me worried.  I will be getting a Dell laptop on or before Oct. 5 from Amazon, it’s a windows 10 pro 64 bit laptop. I’m getting it because my upgraded 7 to 10 had to have a complete re-installation because the audio driver stopped working in it and HP said because it was a 7, they don’t make anymore audio drivers for that version anymore.  This was according to the MS help desk that did extensive research on it as well as a tech from another computer department.  I hope I am not buying a brand new laptop with the same problems.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kathy Metters
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2021 4:00 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Dell laptops freezing or restarting with Jaws

Hi Philip

I am so glad that you mention the problems with jaws not working after while and windows 10 with Dell computers. Can you please help me? I don’t know anything about audio drivers. However, I can follow instructions. Can you please send me more detailed information? Thanks in advance!

Katie Lady Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 17, 2021, at 9:42 AM, Phillip Gross <phillip_gross@...> wrote:

Cynthia, That should fix your problem. If you only remove 1 the headphones won’t be recognized, and if you only remove the other, it will keep trying to download it. That version of the driver is meant to work with MaxxAudio. So the trick is to make sure that Maxxaudio is either removed or just turned off in startup. After that, you replace the current driver with the High Definition audio driver that’s already included in your windows drivers. If you need detailed instructions, let me know, and I’ll get those to you.

Maria, I’m sorry, but I can’t help you with that one. You can take it to JAWS and see if they have a solution. I probably should have done that, but I’m the guy who troubleshoots everyone else’s computer issues and don’t like to ask for help. Yes, it was stupid of me. On their most recent open line podcast, JAWS admitted the Dell thing was a problem, and they said that the only option was the nuclear option, so, basically, what I described above. I don’t know what’s on your Lenovo, what model you have, or if anyone else is having these problems. It might be worth starting a thread with that information. Also check your ram in resource monitor, and see how much you are using as the computer continues to run. What version of windows are you running. Maybe someone can help. If not, take it to JAWS support.