moderated Re: shutting down my laptop with jaws?

Bill White

Hi, Mario. I'm not Frank, but here's how to configure your laptop to shut down when you close the lid,

1. Open Windows Control Panel, the easiest way to do this is to tap the Windows Key, and when Windows displays, Search, type in Control Panel.
2. Press the letter P until you hear Power Options, and press ENTER.
3. If pressing a letter does not take you to Power Options, you are in Category Mode in Control Panel. This means you will need to TAB about 20 times until you hear Power Options.
4. TAB once to Choose what the power buttons do, and press ENTER.
5. TAB to the dialog which says, When I press the Power button (on battery), and use the Up and Down Arrows to choose, Shut Down.
6. TAB to the dialog which says, When I press the Power button (Plugged in), and use the Up and Down Arrows to choose, Shut Down.

You can also configure your laptop so that when you close the lid, it either shuts down, goes to sleep, or does nothing. To do this, continue to TAB until you hear a dialog that says,

When I close the lid: (On Battery),

1. Use the Up and Down Arrows to choose the option of your choice.

2. TAB once to, When I close the lid: (Plugged in), and use the Up and Down Arrows to choose the option of your choice.
3. TAB to Save Changes, and press ENTER.
4. Close the Control Panel by using ALT plus F4, or press ALT plus SPACE, arrow up to Close, and press ENTER.

Now, when you either press the Power button, or you close the lid of your laptop, it will do what you have chosen.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: Frank Ventura [mailto:frank.ventura@...]
Subject: shutting down my laptop with jaws?
Date: Thursday, September 23, 2021, 3:20 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io>
Just to add another option into the mix; in power options you can
configure the power button to trigger a shut down.
Sincerely,
Frank Ventura

frank.ventura@... <mailto:frank.ventura@...>

~Sent from my Apple Mac Book Air~

On Sep 22, 2021, at 7:56 PM, Brian Vogel via groups.io
<http://groups.io> <britechguy@...
<mailto:britechguy@...>> wrote:

And, for yet another option, you can create a desktop shortcut to do
an immediate shutdown for your computer:

1. Once you have focus on the desktop, hit the Applications/Menu Key
or SHIFT+F10, immediately followed by W for the New option,
immediately followed by S for the Shortcut option.
2. In the edit box labeled, "Type the location of the item:" enter the
full path to the program you wish to run along with any command line
options you may want it to take. To trigger a system shutdown, this
would be:
*%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /s /f /t 0*
3. Activate the Next button.
4. In the edit box labeled, "Type a name for this shortcut:," enter
whatever you want the name to be when it's created on the desktop. I
happened to name mine, "Immediate Shutdown." At this point, you may
be finished. If you don’t need a keyboard shortcut then hit the
Finish button and you’re done. Otherwise, continue on after having
activated the Finish button.
5. Locate the shortcut you just created on your desktop and gain
focus on it. With focus on it hit either the Menu/Applications Key or
SHIFT+F10, immediately followed by R for Properties.
6. In the Properties dialog for your shortcut, navigate to the edit
box labeled, "Shortcut key:," or hit ALT+K to be thrown into that edit
box. I have found no way to set up anything other than "Ctrl + Alt +"
followed by the letter or lowercase keyboard character of your
choice. One simply hits that character and the CTRL + ALT + part is
populated ahead of it.
7. Navigate to the OK key and activate it. Your desktop shortcut now
has a keyboard shortcut associated with it.

*/It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between
thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly
different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the
power to connect the seemingly unconnected./*

~ William Plomer