moderated Re: shutting down my laptop with jaws?

Steve Nutt

Even faster, hit Alt Enter for properties, rather than Shift F10 or the applications key.

All the best

Steve

--

To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: 23 September 2021 00:57
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shutting down my laptop with jaws?

And, for yet another option, you can create a desktop shortcut to do an immediate shutdown for your computer:

1.  Once you have focus on the desktop, hit the Applications/Menu Key or SHIFT+F10, immediately followed by W for the New option, immediately followed by S for the Shortcut option.

2. In the edit box labeled, "Type the location of the item:" enter the full path to the program you wish to run along with any command line options you may want it to take.  To trigger a system shutdown, this would be:

%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /s /f /t 0

3.  Activate the Next button.

4.  In the edit box labeled, "Type a name for this shortcut:," enter whatever you want the name to be when it's created on the desktop.  I happened to name mine, "Immediate Shutdown."  At this point, you may be finished.  If you don’t need a keyboard shortcut then hit the Finish button and you’re done.   Otherwise, continue on after having activated the Finish button.

5.  Locate the shortcut you just created on your desktop and gain focus on it.  With focus on it hit either the Menu/Applications Key or SHIFT+F10, immediately followed by R for Properties.

6.  In the Properties dialog for your shortcut, navigate to the edit box labeled, "Shortcut key:," or hit ALT+K to be thrown into that edit box.  I have found no way to set up anything other than "Ctrl + Alt +" followed by the letter or lowercase keyboard character of your choice.  One simply hits that character and the CTRL + ALT + part is populated ahead of it.

7.  Navigate to the OK key and activate it.  Your desktop shortcut now has a keyboard shortcut associated with it.

--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

~ William Plomer

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.