moderated Re: Canada now has the home annual license

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Because if somebody is 3 or 4 versions behind or they never owned Jaws they don't have to pay hundreds of Dollars up front to catch up or to buy the Jaws to begin with. How much is Jaws Home, I think $800 or $900 USD? This means if somebody bought Jaws and an SMA they would already pay probably around $1,000 or a bit more, they could buy Jaws annual licenses for 10 years before they reach that and who knows what is in 10 years. Nobody says you have to buy an annual license if you have kept up to date with your SMA's, but if you are still on Jaws 2016 or Jaws 18 then just continuing to pay $95 US a year may not be such a bad option and even if the SMA still is $160 Canadian and it lasts you for 2 years/2 major releases, then you are paying $80 a year which is $6.66 a month, if you are paying $95 US a year and that currently translates to around $125 Canadian then you are paying $10.41 a month which is a difference of $3.75 a months more. Add to that the fact that you may be able to get a 15% or 20% discount during convention time on the annual license then the difference is only maybe a buck fifty a month. Lastly, some people just do better if they know they have to pay $95 US a year in order to keep access to Jaws whereas if they buy an SMA they may think it's OK not to maintain it and next thing they are a couple of years behind and especially nowadays it just doesn't pay to fall behind.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Diamond
Sent: September 16, 2021 5:50 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Canada now has the home annual license

Eric Damery pointed out in FS Cast 203 I think it was, that if you already have the SMA you may be better off to maintain it than switch to the home license.  Exactly.  Maybe I’m missing something however, why would someone purchase a annual license when purchasing the SMA is cheaper in the long run?

It is less money over time.

I suggest reading the details on the home license for what happens when it runs out.

Eric Damery pointed out in FS Cast 203 I think it was, that if you already have the SMA you may be better off to maintain it than switch to the home license.

It is less money over time.

Richard

My Web site: https://www.turner42.com