moderated Re: Canada now has the home annual license

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Because if somebody is 3 or 4 versions behind or they never owned Jaws they don't have to pay hundreds of Dollars up front to catch up or to buy the Jaws to begin with. How much is Jaws Home, I think $800 or $900 USD? This means if somebody bought Jaws and an SMA they would already pay probably around $1,000 or a bit more, they could buy Jaws annual licenses for 10 years before they reach that and who knows what is in 10 years. Nobody says you have to buy an annual license if you have kept up to date with your SMA's, but if you are still on Jaws 2016 or Jaws 18 then just continuing to pay $95 US a year may not be such a bad option and even if the SMA still is $160 Canadian and it lasts you for 2 years/2 major releases, then you are paying $80 a year which is $6.66 a month, if you are paying $95 US a year and that currently translates to around $125 Canadian then you are paying $10.41 a month which is a difference of $3.75 a months more. Add to that the fact that you may be able to get a 15% or 20% discount during convention time on the annual license then the difference is only maybe a buck fifty a month. Lastly, some people just do better if they know they have to pay $95 US a year in order to keep access to Jaws whereas if they buy an SMA they may think it's OK not to maintain it and next thing they are a couple of years behind and especially nowadays it just doesn't pay to fall behind.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Diamond
Sent: September 16, 2021 5:50 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Canada now has the home annual license

Eric Damery pointed out in FS Cast 203 I think it was, that if you already have the SMA you may be better off to maintain it than switch to the home license.  Exactly.  Maybe I’m missing something however, why would someone purchase a annual license when purchasing the SMA is cheaper in the long run? 

It is less money over time.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2021 6:29 PM

I suggest reading the details on the home license for what happens when it runs out.

Eric Damery pointed out in FS Cast 203 I think it was, that if you already have the SMA you may be better off to maintain it than switch to the home license.

It is less money over time.

Richard

“Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with it.” – Jane Wagner

My Web site: https://www.turner42.com

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David & his pack of dogs
Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2021 5:16 PM

I paid for a 2 year SMA I believe around the end of 2020 and it cost me $160. That gives me the 021 and 022 updates. My SMA ran out in Oct. of 020  

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2021 12:04 PM

If you Google "Jaws Annual License Canada" one of the first to come up is "Software for Home Canada Optelek" and that is where you can read about it, but as soon as you click the "Get a License" you are anyways redirected to Vispero's site where you have to purchase and manage your license.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Madison Martin
Sent: September 15, 2021 10:19 AM

Grate, can someone please provide the link to the website so that us Canadians can learn more about this? I know I could search for it, but I assume whenever I look at Visperro it’s the US site that comes up.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: September 15, 2021 11:43 AM

Hi Mich,

It is 95 USD/year which as far as I know is the same as what it costs in the United States. For Canada you go to the same Vispero website to buy and manage your Jaws annual license and of course there is that thing called exchange rate so on your credit card the 95 USD will be converted to Canadian Dollars at whatever the current exchange rate is. Right now that would be probably around $1.30 or $1.32 so at $1.30 the $95 would convert to $123.50 Canadian or $125.40 if it's $1.32.

This is one example where for once Canadians are paying exactly the same as Americans, if Vispero had set this up to be billed in Canadian they probably would have had to charge a bit more to account for fluctuations in the exchange rate and the cost of collecting the funds in Canadian Dollars which as a United States based business they would then have to convert back to US Dollars and all that comes with a cost both monetary and administrative.

I am also pretty sure that the SMA when they sold it here in Canadian Dollars was more than the approx. $245 or $255 you would currently pay for 2 years of annual licensing. Another good thing for Vispero and in my opinion for the user is the fact that once you are on the annual licensing plan you do have to keep it up or Jaws won't work and this will get rid of people who buy Jaws and then never upgrade and next thing you have all these users who want technical support, but they have a version of Jaws which is 3, 4 or maybe 5 years behind and may not even fully support your current OS and software. At the current exchange rate the annual Jaws license costs you around $10 or $10.50 a month Canadian and this really is not so much to ask, many of us pay that much for a music subscription and if it really came down to whether I spend $10 a month on a music subscription or a Jaws subscription I would choose Jaws because I need Jaws for everything I do on the computer and I don't strictly need the music subscription especially nowadays where there are Millions of songs available for free through Tune In and other services.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mich Verrier
Sent: September 15, 2021 7:54 AM

Well yes it is a good thing it is still not the 99 price  that you get in the US it is over 100 or 200 I think. So it is good that we have it but it is  still pricier then those of you have in the US. From Mich Verrier from New Liskeard Ontario Canada.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Cynthia Bruce
Sent: September 15, 2021 10:47 AM

Fantastic!

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: September 15, 2021 11:38 AM
Subject: Canada now has the home annual license

I just heard a quick flash message from Jaws a minute or three ago.

I looked up the transcript of the FS Cast 204 and found that apparently, Optelec now has the JAWS Annual Home License in Canada.

I thought those of you in Canada may want to know this.

Richard

“Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with it.” – Jane Wagner

My Web site: https://www.turner42.com

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.