From: "Claudia" <cdelreal1973@sbcglobal.net>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Monday, April 16, 2012 22:49
Subject: Re: Enterprise software

I am experiencing this very problem, at the moment.
Seven weeks on my new job, and the accessibility component is a major
source of frustration for me.
All of the powers that be, within the agency, know my issues because I
have been very vocal about them, but they don't get it.
Unless they're physically affected by it, it will not have the same
impact on them. To say that I am frustrated, at this point, is probably
an understatement.
If I'd have known that there were going to be all of these issues, I
surely would have thought twice about taking this position.
I was under the impression that they'd dealt with a person who was blind
in the past and therefore had knowledge of accessibility issues,
regarding screen reading software.

Claudia

On 3/17/2012 12:20 PM, Adrian Spratt wrote:
You don't state your source for these statements, but you appear to quote
them to support your argument in another post for employee passivity. In
my
experience, disabled employees who are too timid to assert their adaptive
needs suffer more harm than if they resign themselves to limits driven by
fear of job loss. Agreed, it is important to know what the limits of
accessibility may be in a particular area, which is perhaps what you're
suggesting, but you go too far. Nothing damages morale like passivity, and
nothing impairs the respect an employee can earn than inability to work
productively with the employer's software.

Note that a company as big as Oracle, which produces not only its
eponymous
database but also PeopleSoft, should be held accountable for their
accessibility, just as Microsoft has been. This may be something for the
ACB, NFB, the Justice Department and other organizations to take up.
Meanwhile, employees who are harmed by their limited accessibility should
ensure their supervisors know, and accommodations can be demanded.