Re: extremely long links

Mario

plus most modern browsers have some way of copying the underlying URL.

-------- Original Message --------
From: Brian Vogel [mailto:britechguy@gmail.com]
Subject: extremely long links
Date: Wednesday, September 15, 2021, 11:48 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
On Wed, Sep 15, 2021 at 10:59 AM, Richard Turner wrote:

The links you are talking about are great examples of crappy web
page creation. They are not using a text tag so all you get is the
full URL.

-
No pun intended, but that's the long and the short of it.

The age of the "naked URL" is long dead and gone.  Any well-designed
website uses what I dub "click-through" links with the descriptive text
telling you what it is that you're clicking through for.

Even services like TinyURL get far less traffic than they once did as
people have gotten used to typing the phrase they want to use as the
text, selecting it, hitting CTRL + K to bring up the insert link dialog,
and hitting OK.  It's no more steps and, in fact, it's usually fewer.

I also agree that, absent some very sophisticated and as-yet-unavailable
AI component in screen readers, they can't and don't have a way to know
what is, and is not, likely to be relevant and to omit "likely
irrelevant" content from being announced.

*/It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between
thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly
different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power
to connect the seemingly unconnected./*

    ~ William Plomer