Re: extremely long links

On Wed, Sep 15, 2021 at 10:59 AM, Richard Turner wrote:
The links you are talking about are great examples of crappy web page creation. They are not using a text tag so all you get is the full URL.
-
No pun intended, but that's the long and the short of it.

The age of the "naked URL" is long dead and gone.  Any well-designed website uses what I dub "click-through" links with the descriptive text telling you what it is that you're clicking through for.

Even services like TinyURL get far less traffic than they once did as people have gotten used to typing the phrase they want to use as the text, selecting it, hitting CTRL + K to bring up the insert link dialog, and hitting OK.  It's no more steps and, in fact, it's usually fewer.

I also agree that, absent some very sophisticated and as-yet-unavailable AI component in screen readers, they can't and don't have a way to know what is, and is not, likely to be relevant and to omit "likely irrelevant" content from being announced.

    ~ William Plomer