moderated Re: Please tell me how to unload and reload JAWS safely

Curtis Chong

Hello Shirley:

I ran a JAWS repair on my system last night, and that did not resolve my Outlook issue.

In your downloads folder, you should see something called J2021.2107.12.400-any.exe. You want to be sure you have this program in that folder before removing anything. If you run the program now, without removing JAWS, a JAWS repair will run. This takes about five minutes to do. Try this first and see if your problem is fixed.

Removing JAWS is a bit trickier. If you remove it, you won’t have a screen reader other than Narrator (unless you have NVDA available to you). If you want to do a really clean removal, you must remove the JAWS shared components as well. Run appwiz.cpl from the Windows Run dialog, find JAWS, and bring up the context menu. Uninstall should be there as an option.

Note none of your other stuff is going to be affected by this.

Best regards,

Curtis Chong

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shirley Tracy
Sent: Friday, September 10, 2021 5:57 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Please tell me how to unload and reload JAWS safely

Good morning,

I’m running windows 10, JAWS 2021, Gmail through Windows Mail, and Office 2019 (I think it’s home and student version).  

Shirley Tracy

Sent: Thursday, September 9, 2021 11:52 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Please tell me how to unload and reload JAWS safely

Hello:

When you say unload and reload JAWS, are you talking about removing JAWS from your system and then re-installing the program. If this is indeed the case, you can remove JAWS and then re-install it. This has no effect upon any of the programs you use in Windows.

I myself am experiencing frequent crashes of Outlook which are forcing me to stop and then restart Outlook. I believe this is a problem with how JAWS and Outlook are working (or not working) together. Unfortunately, I’m not able to consistently reproduce the problem so that the folks at Freedom Scientific can reproduce the problem on their end.

Kind regards,

Curtis Chong

On Sep 9, 2021, at 6:42 PM, Shirley Tracy <shirleytracy16@...> wrote:

HI,

I’m having a lot of little challenges with JAWS. Mail is freezing up, and so are other apps. Other little things aren’t right. I called Freedom Scientific, but the tech support person with whom I spoke said it was a Microsoft issue—especially mail. I thought he was right, but more issues have convinced me that I need to reload a new JAWS. So how do I do it without losing my mail and other programs?

Cheerfully,

Shirley

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.