From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard B. McDonald
Sent: Thursday, September 9, 2021 6:51 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Why are basic symbols not being spoken?

Hi!

I am using Windows 10 and JAWS 2020.  Various basic symbols are not being spoken presently, when in the past they were.  For example, below is the “section symbol”:

§

Instead of JAWS speaking “section” it says “character 167.”  This symbol was inserted above using the JAWSKey+4 command.  So, it is not some rare, strange symbol.  In the past, JAWS use to properly speak it.

What has changed?  Is it, perhaps, some setting in my speech scheme or some other setting?

Thanks,

Richard