moderated Re: hCaptcha Described and Explained

Mario

well, I'd guess that it being a service, it will be automatically detected that the site uses HCaptcha. therefore, the visitor won't notice any need to solve it.

-------- Original Message --------
From: Chris Chaffin [mailto:chaffin102468@gmail.com]
Subject: hCaptcha Described and Explained
Date: Wednesday, August 25, 2021, 9:00 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Hi Mike,

After looking at this, HCaptcha is not really a captcha solving program,
but rather a acaptcha alternative that companies and other web site
creators can use.

Now, it seems that HCaptcha does have accessibility in mind, and has
built in a way of making their product easier for those with
disabilities. It seems from what I have read, that if you sign up with a
private HCaptcha account for people with disabilities, then when you
come to one of their captchas, then you will be able to just skip the
captcha process for that site. The only problem I see is how do you know
when you come to a captcha on a site that it is a HCaptcha? I am sure
there is probably a way of telling. That part was just not clear to me.

Chris

On Aug 25, 2021, at 8:37 AM, Mike B. <mb69mach1@fastmail.com> wrote:

Hi All,
Learned about this CAPTCHA solving program and thought some of you
might be interested in it.

https://www.hcaptcha.com/ <https://www.hcaptcha.com/>
How hCaptcha Difficulty Settings Work
hCaptcha
Apr 3, 2020·2 min read
Share Post
hCaptcha has several difficulty modes available for publishers to
choose. Today we’ll look at what they do, and the tradeoffs of picking
each one.
Note: this post refers to options available to standard hCaptcha
users. Enterprise users and platform integrators have more options
available. Please see
BotStop.com
 or contact sales@hcaptcha.com <mailto:sales@hcaptcha.com> to learn more.
Setting Difficulty per Site(key)
First, let’s navigate to the difficulty slider. You have one per
sitekey, and can use sitekeys to target difficulty as needed.
You can use this feature to customize behavior on different sections
of your site by simply creating more sitekeys with different settings.
For example, your password reset page might be Always On to reduce
abuse, while a form to sign up for a mailing list might be Easy to
provide a better
user experience.
Unlabeled 0
The difficulty slider
You can find this in the Sites tab of the dashboard:
Unlabeled 0
Under Settings for each Sitekey.
-
-
How Difficulty Modes Affect Behavior
Easy
Choosing this option provides a classic CAPTCHA experience, delivering
a standard “easy” challenge for most users, most of the time.
Choosing Easy will filter the captcha types shown, generally showing
those that most users can complete in a few seconds.
Moderate
This option will select more difficult challenge types as necessary to
reach a higher confidence in user humanity.
Difficult
This option will show more difficult challenge types than Easy or
Moderate as well.
Always On
This option will never auto-pass, and will show more difficult
challenge types similar to the Difficult setting.
How to Choose
In general we suggest that you choose the lowest setting that remains
effective at meeting your security goals, as minimizing user
frustration is the thing
we all want to achieve.
Additional options for Enterprise Users
Enterprise users also have a wide range of additional options, including:
99.9% Passive
This option will auto-pass most low-risk users most of the time, but
will start to show challenges in a variety of circumstances depending
on your settings.
Please see the enterprise documentation for details.
Passive
This option is a pure “No-CAPTCHA” experience: it will never show a
visual challenge, but will always return a bot score to you. Please
see the enterprise
documentation for details.
More info on hCaptcha Enterprise features is available at
BotStop.com.
article end