moderated Re: Accessing the jump lists in the taskbar

Curtis Chong

Greetings:

Even if a keyboard does not show the Applications Key per se, there is usually a key combination, involving the FN key (if there is one) which can be used to invoke the actual Applications key function.

I did raise this issue with Microsoft about why the Applications Key brings up a different list from the list which appears when you press Shift+F10. I was told that this problem is planned to be eliminated in Windows 11 where, so it they say, both keyboard commands will produce the same list of choices. Here’s hoping this is an accurate statement of what is to come.

Sincerely,

Curtis Chong

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Artur Räpp
Sent: Friday, August 20, 2021 11:17 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Accessing the jump lists in the taskbar

Hi,

If you are using JAWS then you can

Route JAWS to PC and then right click.

HTH

Artur

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of James Benstead
Sent: Friday, August 20, 2021 4:09 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Re: Accessing the jump lists in the taskbar

Correction! It turns out that the Application key *does* bring up the jump list. My keyboard doesn't have an Application Key, so I was using SHIFT + F10, which *doesn't* bring up the jump list: it turns out that the Application key and SHIFT + F10 are actually subtly different keystrokes.

So, to rephrase my question: how might I access the jump list when I don't have access to an Application key?

--

Jim Benstead

Assistive technology trainer and consultant

On Fri, 20 Aug 2021 at 12:49, James Benstead <james.benstead@...> wrote:

The keystroke WINDOWS + T takes me to the taskbar, and I can then navigate through the various icons in the taskbar using the TAB and arrow keys.

If I'm using the mouse, I can right-click on icons in the taskbar to bring up what Microsoft calls a "jump list" that shows (amongst other things) files that I've recently opened in a given application.

However, if I use the Application Key or SHIFT + F10 to simulate a right click I don't get the jump list; instead I get an old fashioned looking context menu.

How can I access the jump list for a given icon in the taskbar using the keyboard? I know I can use WINDOWS + ALT + n to access the jump list for the icon in the nth position, but what do I do if I've already moved to some icon using WINDOWS + T and the arrow keys?

--

Jim Benstead

Assistive technology trainer and consultant

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.