From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com
[mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com] On Behalf Of John Sherrer
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 11:43 PM
To: 'The Jaws for Windows support list.'
Subject: RE: Reading spaces in a Word Doc

Thanks for this.
John

-----Original Message-----
From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com
[mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com]
On Behalf Of Marquette, Ed
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 1:27 PM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.

If you are doing serious proof-reading, text analyzer can be pretty
useful, particularly if you typically do not add two spaces at the end
of sentences.
You can find out about text analyzer by pressing Insert and the number 6
on the top row of keys on your keyboard.
That will put you in a search box. Type in the word "text" and hit
return.
You will get a list. Actually, you could have typed in "Text Analyzer"
to go straight to Text Analyzer, but I thought seeing all the text
processing options might be useful for someone who is jumping from JAWS
8 to 13.
When you get to Text Analyzer, press right arrow to open up the options.
It can be turned off entirely (which is the default setting), or you can
turn it on to beep on lines with problems, announce the number of
problems, or actually tell you the problems.
For instance, it can say "font change at column ___" or "run of spaces
at column ____" or "quote mismatch" and so on.
The run of spaces is very useful for identifying places where there are
too many spaces; however, if you are in the habit of placing (or are
required to
place) two spaces after a period, text analyzer isn't smart enough to
have that feature turned on and off.
Also, when searching for revisions in a document, the "next" feature is
pretty slick, though not on the tool bar.
I have created my own hotkey in Word so that alt plus shift plus R jumps
to the next revision and alt plus shift plus shift plus P jumps back to
the previous revision.
It works better than the revisions tracking feature in JAWS.
If you are looking for track changes in a document another technique is
to turn on those quick keys with insert plus z.
Then, you can jump from revision to revision simply with a press of the
letter "r".