moderated Re: Skype?

Milton Ota

I’m not sure if you are aware but earlier this year Microsoft announced that they will be retiring Skype and want kpeople to use Microsoft Teams which is similar to Skype and will be apart of Windows 11 when it is released.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Curtis Chong
Sent: Sunday, August 8, 2021 1:26 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Skype?

Greetings:

I am running the latest version of JAWS. Information from JAWS Help is shown here below.

According to the information:

“When downloading Skype, make sure to choose the link to get Skype for Windows, as this works for all Windows versions. There is also a Skype for Windows 10 which is a universal app as well as a Skype for Business. However, both of these apps do not work as well with JAWS at this time.”

Skype

This topic provides a brief overview of using JAWS with the Skype for Desktop application version 8.42 and later.

Skype allows you to make and receive audio and video calls as well as exchange instant messages with other users. For detailed information on using Skype and all of its features, visit the Skype website. This site also contains a complete list of hotkeys for Skype. You can also press INSERT+W to view a list of Skype keystrokes.

When downloading Skype, make sure to choose the link to get Skype for Windows, as this works for all Windows versions. There is also a Skype for Windows 10 which is a universal app as well as a Skype for Business. However, both of these apps do not work as well with JAWS at this time.

Answering and Ending a Call

When Skype alerts you to an incoming call, JAWS automatically speaks the caller information if the Skype window is in focus. The notification is also shown on the braille display as a flash message. You can also press INSERT+SPACEBAR followed by SHIFT+R to repeat the incoming call notification.

To answer an incoming call, perform the layered command INSERT+SPACEBAR, Y followed by UP ARROW or A. You can use these keystrokes from any application once Skype alerts you that someone is calling. Alternatively, use the layered command INSERT+SPACEBAR, Y followed by S to place focus in the Skype window and then press the Skype command CTRL+SHIFT+P or press TAB to move to the Answer or Decline buttons and press ENTER. If your computer has a webcam, you can press the Skype command CTRL+SHIFT+K to answer a call with video when the Skype window is in focus.

To hang up once you are finished with a call, perform the layered command INSERT+SPACEBAR, Y followed by DOWN ARROW or D. Just like answering a call, you can use these keystrokes from any application. Alternatively, use the layered command INSERT+SPACEBAR, Y followed by S to place focus in the Skype window and then press the Skype command CTRL+E.

Instant Messaging

If you are typing messages back and forth with another Skype user, JAWS automatically announces incoming messages as they are received if focus is in the Skype window. Incoming messages are also shown on the braille display as a flash message. To repeat the last background message, press INSERT+SPACEBAR followed by SHIFT+R. JAWS also provides additional keystrokes for use in conversations.

To review previous messages in the current conversation, press CTRL+INSERT+Y to move to the chat history list. Alternatively, you can move to the chat history using the layered keystrokes INSERT+SPACEBAR, Q followed by H. Use the UP or DOWN ARROWS to navigate the list of messages.

In an active conversation, press CTRL+INSERT+E to move to the chat entry field so you can begin typing a new message. Alternatively, you can move to the chat entry field using the layered keystrokes INSERT+SPACEBAR, Q followed by E.

To switch to a different conversation, press CTRL+INSERT+N to move to the conversations list. Alternatively, you can move to the conversations list using the layered keystrokes INSERT+SPACEBAR, Q followed by C.

With kind regards,

Curtis Chong