moderated Re: check writing software?

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Here in Canada there is Interac email money transfer, all the banks including credit unions offer this. You simply add the recipient using either their email address or mobile number, select the amount (there is a $10 minimum) and then make up a security question and answer. The recipient will of course need to know what the answer is in order to deposit the funds unless they set up auto deposit on their end which means any transfer which is sent to their email or mobile number is automatically deposited into whichever account they choose. This is ideal because then I can simply send the money without having to set up a security question and a few minutes later they get a notification that they have received an Interac eTransfer and it will tell them who sent it, how much it was for and state that the funds were deposited. Most personal banking plans include a certain number of free monthly transfers like at least 10 or 25, if you have a more comprehensive plan you usually get unlimited free email money transfers. It can sometimes take up to 30 minutes from when somebody sends such a transfer until the other person receives it, but often it's 5 minutes or less.

All the recipient requires is an email address or mobile phone number and that they are set up for online banking and there are very few people who are not these days and even fewer who don't have an email address and/or mobile phone.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: July 31, 2021 8:26 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: check writing software?

On Sat, Jul 31, 2021 at 11:17 AM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:

Aren't there things like email money transfer in the US?

-
Yes.  There are multiple services for this, not just PayPal, the best known one (here in the USA, anyway).  Zelle/ZellePay is not nearly as well known to the general public, but it's used extensively within the banking industry itself, and there is a free consumer version.  It has the advantage of being as close to literally instant transfer as one can get.

Then there are, as I noted, bill payer services at any bank or credit union I have been affiliated with for the last 25 years.  They transfer funds electronically where that can be done (and you can actually set that up for someone's personal bank account if you pay them often if you so choose) but will cut and mail checks at no cost to entities or individuals that don't accept EFT.

If I write 2 checks per year, on a supply I got over 10 years ago now, that's it.  And it's usually to my mechanic, since he doesn't accept credit cards and doesn't really deal with any "new technology" other than that in the cars he repairs.

    ~ William Plomer