Re: How to locate a missing file

Dave Durber

Rick:

Are the files in the Recent folder, treated as tempory files by Windows, and if so, are they deleted on a continuous basis after a given length of time for each file?

Dave

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 7:26 PM
Subject: Re: How to locate a missing file

Mike and others,
The Recent folder has been around since at least Windows 98, and the contents are only shortcuts to the files, folders, and urls that you have accessed.
You can choose not to use the recent folder if you wish, and if there are no items being displayed in this folder,
it is not
necessarily a fault of the operating system, but a settings change by the user.
The easiest way to get to the folder, is to type the following in the run dialogue:

recent

and press enter.
Once in the folder select one of the entries, and then open the properties of that entry, and you will see that it is a shortcut
and that at least in Windows 10 the only tab in this dialogue is the shortcut tab.
Below is an url that has information about the Recent folder.

HTH,
Rick
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 11:58 AM

Hi Brian,

To add to what you've said and please tell me if this is correct or not, I need to have Quick Access enabled / employed for the, " symbolic links", to be stored in the Recent Files folder along with being told how many in Word.  I've never used Quick Access so I believe this is why I don't have anything stored there.  Thanks much.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.
Just once, I want a username and password prompt to say:  "Close Enough!"

Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 8:43 AM

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 08:46 AM, Mike B. wrote:
I don't know how to make copies of files to auto save to Recent Files
-
Mike,

That's because you don't.  The recent files list is a Windows feature and Recent Files gets populated based on exactly which files you've been working with most recently.  As Sharon's message indicates, there can be quite a few because you can set the length of the "recent files list" available in programs such as MS-Word, etc.  

But you don't directly manage Recent Files, Windows does, and I'll bet my bottom dollar that no actual file ever gets stored there, just symbolic links to files.

--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

~ William Plomer

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.