Re: How to locate a missing file

Mike,

Have you tried the instructions given by Mike B in this message:  https://jfw.groups.io/g/main/message/91029?

If you have nothing in the Recent Items folder I would almost have to say something is wrong with your Windows installation.  This folder gets populated automatically, by Windows, on a constant and ongoing basis.

And I just tested out what I suggested previously.  I saved a file from Notepad on my desktop.  I opened the Recent Files folder (and if you sort it by Date Modified as opposed to File Name the ordering is more logical for what a Recent Files folder is all about) and located the item for that file, which is a shortcut (AKA symbolic link).  I deleted the item in Recent Files and it has no impact whatsoever on the actual file itself where it was saved, which is precisely what I had expected.

    ~ William Plomer