Re: How to locate a missing file

Mike,

Have you tried the instructions given by Mike B in this message:  https://jfw.groups.io/g/main/message/91029?

If you have nothing in the Recent Items folder I would almost have to say something is wrong with your Windows installation.  This folder gets populated automatically, by Windows, on a constant and ongoing basis.

And I just tested out what I suggested previously.  I saved a file from Notepad on my desktop.  I opened the Recent Files folder (and if you sort it by Date Modified as opposed to File Name the ordering is more logical for what a Recent Files folder is all about) and located the item for that file, which is a shortcut (AKA symbolic link).  I deleted the item in Recent Files and it has no impact whatsoever on the actual file itself where it was saved, which is precisely what I had expected.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

~ William Plomer

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.