moderated Re: change password from stars

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 04:42 PM, Van Lant, Robin wrote:
One suggestion was to type your password in Notepad, then cut and paste it into the browser, if you really need to hear each character spoken.
-
Or use a password manager.

I was on the losing side of a philosophical battle royal about this very thing with regard to NVDA.  They do now have an add-on (script equivalent) that announces password characters as you type.  This violates every single principle of security that exists.

I use a password manager just in case I should forget what I created using The Portmanteau Method of Creating Passwords, for the odd occasion of a very seldom used site where I forget what I used for the website specific element in the portmanteau password.  But, ideally, you should be able to recall a password.  And if typing is problematic, it makes much more sense to use a password manager for storage and copy/paste the password out of it. 
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

~ William Plomer

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.