moderated Re: change password from stars

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 04:42 PM, Van Lant, Robin wrote:
One suggestion was to type your password in Notepad, then cut and paste it into the browser, if you really need to hear each character spoken.
-
Or use a password manager.

I was on the losing side of a philosophical battle royal about this very thing with regard to NVDA.  They do now have an add-on (script equivalent) that announces password characters as you type.  This violates every single principle of security that exists.

I use a password manager just in case I should forget what I created using The Portmanteau Method of Creating Passwords, for the odd occasion of a very seldom used site where I forget what I used for the website specific element in the portmanteau password.  But, ideally, you should be able to recall a password.  And if typing is problematic, it makes much more sense to use a password manager for storage and copy/paste the password out of it.

    ~ William Plomer