moderated Re: re jaws and vpn's

David Diamond

Maybe I’m off base here however, I use a VPN (Private internet access) so when I’m using a hot spot or public network that you find in restaurants, I’m safe from hackers, I thought.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Edward Green
Sent: July 18, 2021 4:33 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: re jaws and vpn's

Hi Dave,

Theoretically yes, and being able to stream things from other countries is my primary use case.

However, different broadcasters are more or less efficient about cracking down on VPN use. You may find yourself needing to try different in-country servers offered by your provider if one doesn’t work, so it's best to go with a provider with lots of servers in the country whose content you’re interested in accessing.

The BBC have become really annoying though. On mobile platforms at least, they now go off location services, making the VPN ineffective. I haven’t checked what they do on the PC.

Cheers,

Ed

On 18 July 2021 12:13:13 "Dave Durber" <d.durber@...> wrote:

Hello Bill:

I have never set up or used a VPN. I now live in the UK. When I lived in the US, I used to be able to stream audio from the BBC, through my BBC account. I understand that is no longer possible.

Does it mean, If I set up a VPN, and I am outside the UK, I can connect to a server in the UK, and stream audio and video, from sights,which restrict broadcasts to people living in the UK?

Dave

----- Original Message ----- from the BBC