moderated Re: Help - I'm at my wit's end. JAWS will not advance to next page in tagged PDF #jaws

Gerald Levy

One thing to try is to go to the file menu in Adobe Reader PC and select the option to save the document as a text file.  This will open the document in Notepad as a .txt file and eliminate all those page breaks, and you should then be able to read the document  from beginning to end.

Gerald

On 7/16/2021 3:04 PM, Chris Hill wrote:

I sure can't think of anything else to try.  If I were in that situation, I'd use k1000 to scan the document and hope it didn't scan too bad.

On 7/16/2021 12:30, Laura R wrote:

I have a 150 page PDF which is tagged and passed the accessibility checker and PDF/UA checkers.

However, when I test it in Adobe Reader on JAWS, JAWS reads to the bottom of the page and stops. Hitting the arrow key just repeats the last word on the page like it's reached the end of the document. CTRL + Page Down does advance you to the next page, but takes you to the last line on the next page which is obviously far from an ideal experience for the end user. Insert + Down Arrow (Say All) only reads current page.

I have tried changing the accessibility and reading settings to (a) read the entire document, (b) large documents read current page and changing size of large document to a minimum of 200 pgs (longer than this pdf), and (c) read single page continuous. None of them worked.

The document is due to my client today and would be good to go if not for this weird issue. In 10 years of pdf remediation, I've never encountered this problem before.

Because I have an NDA, I cannot share the file.