moderated Re: After purchasing SMA?

Mario

thanks to all who have responded.

-------- Original Message --------
From: Alan Lemly [mailto:walemly@gmail.com]
Subject: After purchasing SMA?
Date: Wednesday, July 7, 2021, 2:00 PM
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Mario,

Physical presence doesn't mean the presence of brick and mortar buildings where sales tax is concerned. Back in the day, sending sales agents into states soliciting orders could be enough to require a company to register and collect sales tax on sales to that state. The law is constantly evolving as the result of new legislation, state regulations, and court cases. The sales tax of software has experienced a lot of changes through the years and I feel confident that Vispero and Freedom Scientific have done the requisite research before registering and collecting sales tax on sales to the various states in which it operates.

Alan Lemly

From: Alan Lemly [mailto:walemly@gmail.com]
Date: Wednesday, July 7, 2021, 11:43 AM
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Mario,

The application of sales tax is a function of where you reside and your state’s laws regarding whether sales tax applies to computer software and its various forms. If your state applies sales tax to software and Freedom Scientific has a physical presence in your state, Freedom Scientific is obligated to collect sales tax and remit it to the state.
The sales tax should be calculated on the discounted price of the software or SMA.

Like other tax laws, application of sales tax is an ever changing situation. So, just because it did not apply in the past, doesn’t mean it won’t in the future.

Alan Lemly

From: Mike B [mailto:mb69mach1@fastmail.com <mailto:mb69mach1@fastmail.com>]

Date: Tuesday, July 6, 2021, 7:44 PM

To: <main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>>

Hi Loy,

I updated my SMA to 2023 & 2024 over the weekend and today I got a

message to update my authorization when J2021 started. I got this

authorization update message for each computer, so you'll probably

getting the same message pretty soon.

Stay safe & take care. Mike.

Just once, I want a username and password prompt to say: "Close Enough!"