From: "David Diamond" <Daviddiamond2019@outlook.com>
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2021 3:14 PM
Subject: Re: Computers for the Blind

Years ago, I got a refurbished lap top and it too was slower then molasses in January. I put in a SSD and the loading speed tripled. It turned out that it was originally a windows 7 that had been upgraded to 10. Now, it is so old, HP does not even carry some of the drivers needed to fix it. I naturally don't expect the latest and greatest, however, it would have been nice If I did not have to wait minutes, 5 or more for it to load up. Sometimes I think these agencies that donate computers, just do it for 2 reasons, no one wants them, or they are on their last legs and the company wants to claim it as a charitable donation for tax purposes. When the real truth is they can't be sold and it is the old, "shut up and just be happy with what you got. What do you expect! Attitude. I remember a while back a person fixed lap tops and was selling them for $3 or $400. Big problem was there was no display on the screen. For the sighted, very important. He lamented that no one was purchasing them. I was given one of them and it died with no chance of resurrecting it or repairing it within 6 months of receiving it. Another one, the mother board was shot not to mention the battery lasted for 10 minutes on a full charge. It was suggested it was cheaper just to get a new one.