As far as I know there's no JAWS command to speak the length of the string displayed in a cell. There are script functions to calculate the length of a string in JAWS but you need a lot of infos, for example font name, font size, bold or italic and so on to do this. And then you need more scripting to get the length of the cell. If you want to make sure the string is completely in your cell you could use the shortcut Alt + H, then O, and then I.

Good luck
Udo

Am 30.06.2021 um 16:38 schrieb Ann Byrne <annakb@sbcglobal.net>:

Using Excel 2019 with JAWS 2021 latest, I can't read visible text with the JAWS cursor.
At 08:33 AM 6/30/2021, you wrote:
using the JAWS cursor to read the text on the screen is the only way that I'm aware of. if there's another way, I'd like to know as well.

-------- Original Message --------
From: Ann Byrne [mailto:annakb@sbcglobal.net]
Subject: Reading visible text in a cell
Date: Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 8:03 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
The text "Wednesday is the middle of the week" has been entered into
cell a1 of a spreadsheet with default width of 8.11 points. It
overlaps, of course into at least the next two cells. How can I
determine what is actually displayed in a1? F2 reads all the text,
whether displayed or not. Routing JAWS to PC speaks
What else can I try?

Thx,
'blank'.

.