moderated Re: question about Jaws at job interview

G. Gray

school teacher....history/typing/economics

Listening for the Shout!,
1 Thessalonians 4:16-18

George

On 6/29/2021 8:29 AM, Michael Walker wrote:
Hi George,

What job did you interview for?

Thank you,
Mike

On Jun 29, 2021, at 5:20 AM, G. Gray <geogray@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

A few thoughts about this subject which may or may not help. First off I interviewed for a job back in the dinosaur age...1971. We didn't have laptops then, but I did have a small micro cassette recorder. I had it in my shirt pocket and it was ready to go when needed. That was a help in taking notes during the interview.

2. I did not tell the interviewer that I was blind before the interview. I chose to disarm him/her at the interview. After greetings were exchanged...I explained that I had lived with blindness for several years and knew how to deal with problems and obstacles. I told him/her that I wanted them to feel comfortable with me during the interview and that they could feel free to ask me anything! That seemed to lift barriers.

I personally feel that an interviewer subconsciously thinks "if I were blind...how would I do this task?" Since they have no familiarity with it, they conclude...it can't be done...which is why I tried to disarm them at the outset.

Anyway I did get the job, but I did go through many interviews before getting it!!!

--
Listening for the Shout!,
1 Thessalonians 4:16-18

George