moderated Re: Question about JAWS at job interviews

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 10:52 AM, Ekstrand, Pamela A. -ND wrote:
The biggest thing that helped me once I had some experience was providing references of people who I had previously worked with.
-
That has been a major help as one builds one's career over the years, but not so much anymore, at least if those people are still employed by the employer(s) you've left.

There have been a number of lawsuits, some of which the person who asked for a reference have won, which arose after that reference was not as "glowing" as they had anticipated and they felt it cost them the job they were trying to get (and that's even after having left the employer where the person giving reference works).

Many companies will not allow any reference of any sort to be given these days.  The only thing they'll allow is for HR to state that you were employed there and the dates of said employment.  Of course, some who give references will still do so as "a private individual" but they have to watch out in regard to what their employer allows or do it on the QT.

           ~ André Gide