moderated Re: Question about JAWS at job interviews

Ekstrand, Pamela A. -ND

Hi Mike,

I had a few programmer/analyst jobs before becoming a DBA. My first DBA job was at a place where I had been a programmer, so they already knew me. I have been a DBA now for more years than I care to count. Generally, I feel more comfortable telling the interviewer up front that I am blind, but I have done it both ways. During phone interviews, I have found that it is not always easy to work that into the conversation.

I have been working remotely in my current job for over 15 years now, and many people I work with have come to know that I am blind, but I haven't made a point of saying it unless I feel there is
A need for someone to know.

I guess the bottom line for me is that what I do depends on the situation. I have worked for some wonderful people, and I have also been interviewed by some that I knew wouldn't hire me as soon as the interview started.

The biggest thing that helped me once I had some experience was providing references of people who I had previously worked with.

Pam

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael Walker via groups.io
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2021 8:52 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Question about JAWS at job interviews

Hi Pam,

This is very helpful. How did your employer for the database administrator position react, when you told them you were blind? How do you know when you should disclose your blindness? What other jobs did you have before that position?

Thank you,
Mike

On Jun 28, 2021, at 7:15 PM, Ekstrand, Pamela A. -ND <pamela.a.ekstrand.-nd@disney.com> wrote:

Mike,

It was for a database administrator job, so they asked a lot of technical questions. They had already done a preliminary interview by phone, and flew me out to where they were located, so I had told them I was blind. We had a good discussion about how I was able to do my work, but I did not take a laptop with me. I actually am not sure what I would have shown them, since I would not have had access to their systems at that point. They also contacted a few references which I provided that were previous employers.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael Walker via groups.io
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2021 7:52 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Question about JAWS at job interviews

Hi Rod,

Technical interviews may require coding exercises. I am not sure how people who can see do those. At my prior programming job, it was just a phone interview.

Pam, what did they do at your in-person interview?

Thank you,
Mike

On Jun 28, 2021, at 6:33 PM, Rod <rodalcidonis@gmail.com> wrote:

Why would you need to bring a laptop to the interview?

Employers are required to provide reasonable accommodations at all stages in the employment process.

Do you have specific concerns?

Rod,

Rod Alcidonis, Esq.
-----Original Message----- From: Michael Walker
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2021 6:28 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Question about JAWS at job interviews

Hi,

When you went to job interviews, did you bring your own laptop with
JAWS, or did the employer provide JAWS as an interview accommodation? I
currently only have a desktop, but am willing to obtain a laptop. I am
assuming that I cannot expect any interview accommodations, and that I
should be prepared. Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Mike

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.