moderated Re: Tips for File Explorer

David Bailes

Hi Robin,
here's yet another way of finding where you are in the hierarchy. It does involve moving the focus, but only slightly. To use this method you'll want to enable the navigation pane option to expand to open folder. One way of doing this in on the View tab, there's navigation pane split button. Press it, and ensure that expand to open folder is checked.
Then, if you're in the items view, and you want to know your place in the hierarchy:
1. Press shift + Tab to the navigation pane. The selected item is the name of the current folder.
2. In a tree view, pressing backspace selects the parent folder, so by repeatedly pressing backspace you can find the parent, grand parent etc.
3. If you want to repeat this trip up the tree, pressing ctrl+shift+E selects the current folder again.
4. At any point you can return to the items view by pressing Tab.

David.

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 04:19 AM, Mark wrote:

Robin,

Your preferred method makes sense. I think referring to the speech history is the same number of steps as a Shift + F10 clipboard then A method. ALT + D also moves the keyboard focus, which I'm trying to avoid because I'll have to move it back.  The title bar technique has a limitation. It will truncate long file paths.

Each of these technique seems to have extra steps, require listening to a long path name, and may move the keyboard focus. My impression is they also require the user to complete a fundamental file management task (where am i in the file hierarchy) using a set of other tasks, like "move to path" and "bring up speech history."  From a usability pov, wouldn't the ideal be if one keystroke said the name of the parent folder of the item view, without moving the focus?  Two key strokes gets you the grandparent folder, and so on?