moderated Re: question about Jaws at job interview

G. Gray

A few thoughts about this subject which may or may not help. First off I interviewed for a job back in the dinosaur age...1971.  We didn't have laptops then, but I did have a small micro cassette recorder.  I had it in my shirt pocket and it was ready to go when needed.  That was a help in taking notes during the interview.

2.  I did not tell the interviewer that I was blind before the interview.  I chose to disarm him/her at the interview.  After greetings were exchanged...I explained that I had lived with blindness for several years and knew how to deal with problems and obstacles.  I told him/her that I wanted them to feel comfortable with me during the interview and that they could feel free to ask me anything!  That seemed to lift barriers.

I personally feel that an interviewer subconsciously thinks "if I were blind...how would I do this task?"  Since they have no familiarity with it, they conclude...it can't be done...which is why I tried to disarm them at the outset.

Anyway I did get the  job, but I did go through many interviews before getting it!!!

--
Listening for the Shout!,
1 Thessalonians 4:16-18

George