moderated Re: Question about JAWS at job interviews

Kevin Minor

Hi.

If a possible employer offers an accessible computer, be prepared to use Narrator for what you'll be doing. It's a screen reader, and that's all they're required to provide. Also, some jobs are misleading. In April of this year, I started training with a company. I was assured the software I'd be working with was JAWS friendly. During the two days I was with them, I got a glimpse of what I'd be using, and JAWS worked great. What ended my short time with them was what was used for my training. That was totally graphical, requiring manipulating objects on the screen, and JAWS wouldn't work with it. I've found that places where I applied seemed very eager to hire me, but when I inform them how I'd do my job, they politely inform me either it won't work, or they take a month or two to figure out whether it will or not.

Just some thoughts.

Kevin and Jilly

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rod
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2021 10:43 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Question about JAWS at job interviews

In that case, I would just have a laptop in my bag just in case though it is the responsibility of the employer to ensure that interviews are accessible.

Great employers would ask you upfront -- do you require any reasonable accommodations to participate in the interview?

If you were to be surprised with an exercise, I would then immediately make a request for reasonable accommodation right then and there. Not in such a way to turn them off and for you not to get the job but in a very tactful way -- something like -- "may I have your permission to utilize my personal laptop to complete the exercise as an accommodation? I have a screen reader on my computer that would allow me to perform the exercise."

you may then go even more into it and explain how you will be able to accomplish your work by using accessible technology.

Rod,

Rod Alcidonis, Esq.
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2021 7:51 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Question about JAWS at job interviews

Hi Rod,

Technical interviews may require coding exercises. I am not sure how people who can see do those. At my prior programming job, it was just a phone interview.

Pam, what did they do at your in-person interview?

Thank you,
Mike

On Jun 28, 2021, at 6:33 PM, Rod <rodalcidonis@gmail.com> wrote:

´╗┐Why would you need to bring a laptop to the interview?

Employers are required to provide reasonable accommodations at all
stages in the employment process.

Do you have specific concerns?

Rod,

Rod Alcidonis, Esq.
-----Original Message----- From: Michael Walker
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2021 6:28 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Question about JAWS at job interviews

Hi,

When you went to job interviews, did you bring your own laptop with
JAWS, or did the employer provide JAWS as an interview accommodation?
I currently only have a desktop, but am willing to obtain a laptop. I
am assuming that I cannot expect any interview accommodations, and
that I should be prepared. Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Mike

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.