moderated Re: Tips for File Explorer

Mark

Robin,

Your preferred method makes sense. I think referring to the speech history is the same number of steps as a Shift + F10 clipboard then A method. ALT + D also moves the keyboard focus, which I'm trying to avoid because I'll have to move it back.  The title bar technique has a limitation. It will truncate long file paths.

Each of these technique seems to have extra steps, require listening to a long path name, and may move the keyboard focus. My impression is they also require the user to complete a fundamental file management task (where am i in the file hierarchy) using a set of other tasks, like "move to path" and "bring up speech history."  From a usability pov, wouldn't the ideal be if one keystroke said the name of the parent folder of the item view, without moving the focus?  Two key strokes gets you the grandparent folder, and so on?